Your weakest link

REN

What's your weakest link when it comes to being a successful turkey hunter?

For me personally, it's the ability to successfully locate birds on unfamiliar ground. I know what good turkey habitat looks like on aerial photos. I know how to scout from roads, find tracks from the truck from dirt roads, find sign on the woods, etc... but it seems about 1 out of 10 unfamiliar places I pick to hunt actually have any birds to hunt. I'm doing something wrong. And it's not for lack of effort or being lazy.

If any of you guys can help me out with this (pm is fine if you don't want to give secrets out on a public forum), I really need to improve my game in this area.

Im the same with you at this point in my hunting life. Ive hunted the same private land areas for so many years now Ive lost some of my old skill of finding birds in all new areas. Way back when I just used my boots to find them so Ive never really had to use maps and new technology for scouting ahead of time. Im now doing it for my NV hunt and feel like a kid thats new to the game again lol. I find it much easier in the south because I know easterns and I know southern terrain and what turkeys like and dont like. I dont know west or western terrain on what turkeys like and dont like though :(

PalsPal

This feels like an AA meeting!

I can hear gobbles and walking in the leaves, but pinpointing the direction can be tough as I get older.

I had never heard one drum until I was 48-50 or so. The past 8-10 years, I have heard maybe 4-5. The problem I have now is I THINK I hear drumming :D !

I have always been a morning-only turkey hunter. I HAVE to be in the woods at dawn to hear the chorus. But, either it be having to be at work, or just impatience, a couple of hours is all I can stay on one UNLESS he at least gives me hope.

My other weakness is devil hens. One may tear my calls up, but I can rarely pull him off of his hens. And the fact that he is tearing my calls up, causes me to waste time on him.

There are others, but that's a start!

eddie c

Hearing lost. Patience. Some physical problems and trouble being still. And if there is nothing to keep my mind occupied, I will fall asleep fairly quickly.

bowhunterfanatic

Property lines. 95% of my hunting is done in ag fields where the timber or cover is on the wrong side of the property lines. Makes circling birds next to impossible in most cases. Usually have a couple weeks of the season that are incredibly slow when the birds just don't want to be in the fields for whatever reason.

Southern Sportsman

Like many have said, patience/restlessness is probably my biggest weakness. But it's one I'm ok with. I hunt to have fun. Sitting through long spells of silence hoping that he's sneaking in becomes boring after a while. There is a time and a place for it, and I do it plenty when the situation dictates. But more often than not I'll get up, cover more ground, and try to strike a "hot" one. Without a doubt it costs me some birds, but I'm having fun.

With three young kids, a wife, and a busy job, time limitations also reduce the number of turkeys I kill, but again, I'm fine with that.

The one that frustrates the hell out of me is mental. I'm a pretty good turkey hunter I think and a relatively smart guy. I get my ass kicked in the turkey woods PLENTY, but I feel like I usually know what to do and when. But when a bird gets close and hangs up, or is blocked by a tree or ground cover, or starts to circle me, or any of the hundreds of tricks they play, my brain sometimes turns to mush. I'll sometime get over anxious or break nervous and do something patently stupid trying to force the game to immediate conclusion. All too often it concludes the game, but not like I wanted. The list of examples is long and embarrassing and afterwards I always sit sulking in shame and think that my six-year-old son probably would have known better.

Sasquatch Boogie Outdoors

Pinpointing a single gobble, especially in these mountains.
Oh boy!! If yunz ain't never hunted mtn birds it can sure throw a curve at ya. He gobbles left and you'd swear he was to the right.haha...I "worked" a bird for 4 hours one morning, or should I say he worked me; only to find him behind an abandoned house.........in a pin!!!! Hahaha. Could have sworn he was on the same ridge as me...p.s. I know its embarrassing but one of my most favorite memories. I just laughed all day. And 20 yrs later I'm still laughing

Ladys man

Other than the fact I still consider myself very new to Turkey, 2 real seasons and havnt had an opportunity to kill one yet. The woods I hunt dnt hold a lot of turkeys and the ones that are there mostly gobble on the property lines so my inexperience can't call them to me. Judging how far the gobble really is. Knowing what call is what.
Also back in school so that takes up a lot of time, both kids have sports.

Just about everything is my weak point at the moment lol

Latest posts