You thought yesterday was MLK day?

J

Jon54

I'm sure we all have opinions on the recognition of MLK day. I'm not of color and my opinions would be different if I were. But there is a "Christian" school in Mississippi that was closed yesterday. According to their calendar on their website, it wasn't for MLK day but it was "Robert E. Lee day".

http://www.carrollacademy.org/parents/y ... lendar.cfm

WTM

WTM

Supporter
yeah, well they fell on the same day this year. im sure they will hear about the omission of mlk.

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

Traditionally celebrated on the same day, 3rd Monday in January.

Robert E Lee's birthday is Jan 19, MLK's is is Jan 15.

D

Dale3

Live in Mt.Juliet ,Hunt Jackson county(Gainsboro)
Right now MLK day just another day to try to fool the masses with the lying MSM into thinking Trumps a racist.
They will spend more time trying to make Trump look like a racist than talking about MLK and what he did.
That FAR FAR more important to MSM and liberals than what MLK was all about and did.

S

Scioto

When I moved to Virginia back in 1990, I was surprised to learn that yesterday was a state holiday known as “Lee-Jackson-King Day.” It isn’t anymore. That school in Mississippi has a bad history department. How could any Mississippian have admiration for Lee? Lee refused to send Longstreet’s corps to join up with Johnston in Jackson, MS to help relieve Pemberton in Vicksburg. Instead, he took the Army of Northern Virginia north to Gettysburg and the rest, as they say, is history.

P

poorhunter

Used to not think much of MLK...until I listened to his speeches. He was a great man. Today, he would get run out of most black colleges and be considered a hate group by the SPLC.

K

knightrider

poorhunter":1esfbnbq said:
Used to not think much of MLK...until I listened to his speeches. He was a great man. Today, he would get run out of most black colleges and be considered a hate group by the SPLC.
not trying to :stir: I would do alot of research before calling him a great man, big difference in words in a speech and the way one lives.

FTG-05

FTG-05

One was a commie, the other an American.

P

poorhunter

knightrider":2h0p0du9 said:
poorhunter":2h0p0du9 said:
not trying to :stir: I would do alot of research before calling him a great man, big difference in words in a speech and the way one lives.

You may be right...I have yet to look into the man.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

knightrider":mrhzbtd8 said:
poorhunter":mrhzbtd8 said:
not trying to :stir: I would do a lot of research before calling him a great man, big difference in words in a speech and the way one lives.

Indeed.

J

Jon54

I find the idea of celebrating REL day on MLK day discussing. This school has a rep that opposes the stated Christian ethic. While I don’t believe MLK merited a nat’l holiday, calling the same day REL day is simply not Christian in the way I was raised.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

Jon54":12uzamn7 said:
I find the idea of celebrating REL day on MLK day discussing. This school has a rep that opposes the stated Christian ethic. While I don’t believe MLK merited a nat’l holiday, calling the same day REL day is simply not Christian in the way I was raised.

Which of the Commandments did they violate?

J

Jon54

Paul said: There is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him” (Romans 10:12.) Then Gentiles were the lowest of the low and were often referred to as dogs. Celebrating a holiday for Robert E Lee on the established holiday of a Black is no mistake. If they had wanted to truly celebrate REL, they could easily have done it on his actual birthday.

As I stated previously, this school has a reputation of racist tendencies which violates a lot of Christian ethics including Love your neighbor as yourself. Sadly, racism is with us and is promoted by both sides of the argument.

S

Strict

The school is the Carroll Academy Rebels. They are a private school and can choose who and what to celebrate on their calendar. For you to question that school's Christianity is pathetic. If you consider MLK a saint you haven't looked at much unbiased history. To me it would be more relevant to question the Christian bona fides of a public school that disparages Jesus by minimizing the celebration of Christmas or Easter.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

So it is now not only politically incorrect to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in lieu of MLK's, it is also unchristian. "....Oh brave new world that has such people in it....."

B

BMan

Bambi Buster":1dfjyg0t said:
So it is now not only politically incorrect to celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday in lieu of MLK's, it is also unchristian. "....Oh brave new world that has such people in it....."
Things that make you go hmmmm....

J

Jon54

Strict":t3lo3y65 said:
The school is the Carroll Academy Rebels. They are a private school and can choose who and what to celebrate on their calendar. For you to question that school's Christianity is pathetic. If you consider MLK a saint you haven't looked at much unbiased history. To me it would be more relevant to question the Christian bona fides of a public school that disparages Jesus by minimizing the celebration of Christmas or Easter.

You’ve clearly not read anything I’ve written. What I know about the school came from a grandfather of two boys that attend that school. He talked to me about the irony of their Christian ethics and things he has seen personally at their school events. I know a minister whose son has played football against that school and said the same things.

As to your accusation that I think MLK is a saint, please post where I said that. You can’t. You simply made that crap up.

shirtshirt

shirtshirt

Supporter
Strict":3q0vytu1 said:
The school is the Carroll Academy Rebels. They are a private school and can choose who and what to celebrate on their calendar.

A person can poop in their living room and call it a bathroom but better homes and gardens ain't giving them the cover.