You have to take the good with the bad!

PalsPal

Today's hunt was great until the ending!

Great gobbling early from at least 3, but a hen is between us ... then 20 mins of quiet ... then a silent gobbler steps out ... gets antsy ... then circles right to left, then back to right and below us.

Dad sees it at this point, but it starts putting and going left again.

Dad took a moving shot ... IF he hit it, it didn't do much damage!

I had a couple of opportunities at shots, but thought we would get a better opportunity. Why is that, when you need him to take that extra step to clear a tree, he many times doesn't?

PalsPal

Middle TN this morning.

Had the safety off this morning at second setup, but he stayed slightly out of range. Great roost gobbling but hens still roosted with them so nothing after fly down.

Picking up Glenn now for round 3 at a different farm.

rem270

Why is that, when you need him to take that extra step to clear a tree, he many times doesn't?
This exact thing happened to me this morning. No gobbles where I thought they'd be roosted. 730 I thought I heard a faint gobble when someone started up a mower. I took off slow walking and seen him in a freshly disced field alone. I was about 300 yards from him and started calling. He gobbled but didn't have much to do with me. Then a hen came out halfway between me and him and he hung around half strutting the whole time. I decided to use a big ditch to get closer and it all worked great. She was 60 yards angling away and he was closerto the wood line and moving left to right. He made it to 30 yard's and I needed him to move to the right about 5 steps to clear a small tree. He spooked on me and that was it. So close.

Latest posts