Yote Hunting

backroads

It looks like I might have a good chance to hunt coyotes on the property in the pics below. I did kill one a couple weeks ago while deer hunting. The neighboring property had a 400lb calf killed about a month ago by yotes. The rancher told me that this his second killed recently. The dead calf indicated on the map on the north end. The two X's are coyotes. The western X is where I killed the female the other X I couldn't get a good shot.

I've haven't yote hunted intentionally before so this is new to me. I have a FoxPro call with multiple distress calls. What I'm curious about is what I've read where hunters talk about multiple sets. What I don't' know is how long are each sets and if you try multiple sets on the same property like the pic below how much time should be between sets so I'm not over calling in such a small place.

I've read to try to have the sun at your back if possible and wind in your face (or cross wind).

How often do you hunt a property? Once a week, month?

What other advice do you have I could use?

Thanks

Attachments

• yote.JPG
    yote.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 761
  • Coyote 2.jpg
    Coyote 2.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 764
  • Coyote 1.jpg
    Coyote 1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 759

Smoke

Depends on size of property to how many sets I make. If I think every thing has heard me from one spot I go on to another property. Sound doesn't travel as far here as it does out west like u see on TV. I've called in yotes in one spot, move a few hundred yards and call in more off neighboring property. Most of my sets are 20-25 minutes. Most of the time it happens fast but some educated dogs take their time coming in and some come in from a long way off. I always end a set with pup distress. Killed a bunch that didn't come in til it was turned on. Always hunt your way into a property making sets as u go thru. Watch the wind. They want to get downwind. U can use that to your advantage by using crosswind or getting downwind of your call. I give property at least a couple weeks between hunts. They learn quick and it's easy to burn up a spot. This is just some of the things I do. There's alot of trial and error and u learn as u go. Good luck and show us some pics

backroads

Smoke":1p85jce1 said:
Depends on size of property to how many sets I make. If I think every thing has heard me from one spot I go on to another property. Sound doesn't travel as far here as it does out west like u see on TV. I've called in yotes in one spot, move a few hundred yards and call in more off neighboring property. Most of my sets are 20-25 minutes. Most of the time it happens fast but some educated dogs take their time coming in and some come in from a long way off. I always end a set with pup distress. Killed a bunch that didn't come in til it was turned on. Always hunt your way into a property making sets as u go thru. Watch the wind. They want to get downwind. U can use that to your advantage by using crosswind or getting downwind of your call. I give property at least a couple weeks between hunts. They learn quick and it's easy to burn up a spot. This is just some of the things I do. There's alot of trial and error and u learn as u go. Good luck and show us some pics

Thanks this is helpful. The part he may let me hunt is a bit over 200 acres. The idea of working my way from the front gate to the back of the property is a great idea. I hadn't considered that. ?Thank you

Latest posts