yo bluball

blueball

thanks. a couple of guys told me all there females had gray or brown eggs. hopefully the majority spawned out successfully despite the crazy temp swings.
I fished 4 days last week and had 80 keepers and the eggs look alot better than some of the previous yrs.Think it was 14 or 15,somewhere around that time i saw a bunch one yr.

NumberOne

Interested in why you asked about the colors of the eggs? Never heard anything about that. What's the difference?

WTM

Interested in why you asked about the colors of the eggs? Never heard anything about that. What's the difference?
it usually means that particular female failed to spawn and is in the process of absorbing the eggs before a new sac is developed a few months later. happens in bass as well. they wont put energy into spawning if the conditions arent right and will put that energy into growth.

on the flip side a co-worker who fishes like i do said the all of the female black crappie he cleaned were spawned out.

usually on ky lake when the white crappie has a bad or mediocre spawn year the blacks will have a great spawn. due to the roller coaster water temps it may be one of those years.

NumberOne

Gotcha. I have heard of bass absorbing the eggs if the conditions aren't right. Guess I don't hear about the color of egg paart because bass don't get cleaned as often as crappie. Very interesting either way. Didnt you mention that normally white crappie and bass spawns go hand in hand? If one does well, the other does too?

WTM

Gotcha. I have heard of bass absorbing the eggs if the conditions aren't right. Guess I don't hear about the color of egg paart because bass don't get cleaned as often as crappie. Very interesting either way. Didnt you mention that normally white crappie and bass spawns go hand in hand? If one does well, the other does too?
yes according to 35 years of spawn data but crappie are more cyclical. also the more hydro discharge you have thru the dams in the spring is a fairly good predictor of spawn success and recruitment. in years where there have been high discharge rates then white crappie and LMB spawns suffer. it basically shortens the window to prime spawning conditions.

NumberOne

Its been an odd spring. High and relatively warm water starting at the end of March (at least on the south end). Water was in the bushes for 2-3 weeks with water temps hovering around 60. Also a lot of flow early. Then they yanked the water down and we have had pretty stable water conditions the last 3-4 weeks but the water didnt get high until this week. I have my doubts that we had a good spawn and I also think a lot of fish spawned on the south end pretty early and is mostly done now. Im probably wrong but everyone has an opinion they say.

Latest posts