Yellow Perch

hornsdonteat

Where do I begin!? We get to the boat ramp and in order to get to the lake you have to drive up a creek. Well this "creek" was a solid sheet of ice. I back the boat in thinking ok the weight of the boat will break this ice. I try rolling up the creek but the trolling motor isn't enoug to break ice, so I crank the big motor "9.9 Mercury" and hammer down..So as me and my fishing partner head up through this ice the big motor is helping break through, all sounds fine and dandy. I start noticing the ice ahead looks whiter which means thicker.. I end up beaching the boat on the ice, reversing and making a new path, the whole time all that is running through my mind is the titanic lol, this was wild solid ice and breaking through with my flat bottom for 300+ yards... finally get into the lake and we caught around 100 and broughtt 81 of these tasty suckers to the boat!

Attachments

• 163F4C01-02E5-4452-80CE-352424ACCD83.jpeg
    163F4C01-02E5-4452-80CE-352424ACCD83.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,643
  • 5F0290F7-3AB6-48F0-B8D1-373114675D6C.jpeg
    5F0290F7-3AB6-48F0-B8D1-373114675D6C.jpeg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,641

bds240

Congrats! I have a blast every time I go up there. Next time you make a trip up there shoot me a pm, I got a new fish finder on my boat and Ive been wanting to find a school of the big ones. We always seem to catch the smaller ones Ive heard that the smaller ones school up together, and the bigger ones school up together.

bds240

RUGER":3g5i8j6f said:
Color me SUPER JEALOUS!!!

That is a dream trip for me!

Next time your headed to South East TN, give us locals a shout I'm sure any one of us would be glad to take you.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
bds240":34rq0wlj said:
RUGER":34rq0wlj said:

Next time your headed to South East TN, give us locals a shout I'm sure any one of us would be glad to take you.

Will definitely do that.
There just aren't any right here where I am.
Been reading all I can and gonna try to find them on KY lake this spring though.

hornsdonteat

I don't have a fish finder but I drifted for then m with the current but I think imma go back and troll for them like crappie

bluball

RUGER":16fqixsj said:
bds240":16fqixsj said:
RUGER":16fqixsj said:

Will definitely do that.
There just aren't any right here where I am.
Been reading all I can and gonna try to find them on KY lake this spring though.
I've never caught any,but saw a couple guys at the ramp that caught some one time.Believe it was June and they were way up in the back of a creek,don't know what they were using.I saw them in a creek a little south of danville.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean

I've only caught 3 from KY lake!!
2 while I was brim fishing and 1 spider rigging for crappie. They were small and I did not keep them.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
X-Tennessean":32ytlnr7 said:
2 while I was brim fishing and 1 spider rigging for crappie. They were small and I did not keep them.

I have only caught 1.
It was about 4" long. LOL

Last year my buddy sent me a picture of one and asked me what it was.
I told him and asked where he caught it.
Off the fishing pier at Piney Campground :shock:
He ended up catching 5 of them and all were over 12" long. Just had to smh.

rukiddin

I think I could die a happy man if I had the opportunity it's to fry up a mess of yellow perch like that. Yellow perch are the reason God made vegetable and peanut oil.......hahahaha

X-Tennessean

RUGER":1n2hxgya said:
X-Tennessean":1n2hxgya said:

I have only caught 1.

Believe it or not that is actually where I caught the 2 brim fishing! By the ramp on the South side of Piney.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
X-Tennessean":3sro3kgd said:
RUGER":3sro3kgd said:
X-Tennessean":3sro3kgd said:

I have only caught 1.

Believe it or not that is actually where I caught the 2 brim fishing! By the ramp on the South side of Piney.

That's wild. I have spent quite a bit of time bream fishing on that pier and never caught one.
I did catch a couple small smallmouth bass though. :)
They like crickets. :D