Yellow perch in KY lake?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know there are some in there because I caught one two years ago while bream fishing.
It was only about 4" long though. :D

Buddy of mine was fishing off the fishing pier at Piney Campground last year and caught like 5 or 6 eating size ones.

Is there any rhymn or reason on how to fish for them on KY lake?
I have heard "old timers" talk about catching them but nobody has been able to (or willing to) share any tips.

I would just like to catch a few, mainly because I have only caught one in my life and I hear they are outstanding tablefare.

Just curious if anyone knew of any techniques or possibly areas to try?

rsimms

There are a few throughout the Tennessee River system. But I rarely see one more than 10-inches long.

HOWEVER, Parksville Lake over in Polk County has some BRUISER yellow perch.

Attachments

• IMG_6084.JPG
    IMG_6084.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,076

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
bowfish12":3tmfrohs said:
http://www.kicknbass.net/archives/september_30th.htm

Probably about as detailed info you will be able to find for catching them on KY lake.

Very cool man, thanks!

cbhunter

rsimms":1ohc8tpm said:
There are a few throughout the Tennessee River system. But I rarely see one more than 10-inches long.

Hey, I fished with that feller before, how is he doing Richard?

woodyard

Ruger, the only time we have caught several was when we were fishing a bluegill bed on the side of an old creek channel on KY lake. They were mixed In with the bluegills. I don't know if they were after the gills eggs or fry or just passing thru. Several of them and there were some big enough to eat.

I didn't clean any of that cach, gave everything to a feller fishing on the bank.

larry ipock

Don't know Ky lake. The small bodies of water here (60 acres or less), they seem to get active around 40-42 degrees. A pop eye jig with a minnow head or crappie nibble. 4 to 8ft. flo. orange or pink. I think I could catch a mess now if I had a small boat, ant he water not frozen.

rsimms

cbhunter":3o9ccpw7 said:
rsimms":3o9ccpw7 said:

Sam is doing great. I kept him VERY busy with trips in 2017... probably the most he's ever done in a year. Ready and chomping at the bit for 2018.

cbhunter

rsimms":3c3n1x8x said:
cbhunter":3c3n1x8x said:
rsimms":3c3n1x8x said:

Sam is doing great. I kept him VERY busy with trips in 2017... probably the most he's ever done in a year. Ready and chomping at the bit for 2018.
good deal, hopefully your doing great as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GRIT

RUGER":32u117k6 said:
I know there are some in there because I caught one two years ago while bream fishing.

Buddy of mine was fishing off the fishing pier at Piney Campground last year and caught like 5 or 6 eating size ones.

I have heard "old timers" talk about catching them but nobody has been able to (or willing to) share any tips.

I would just like to catch a few, mainly because I have only caught one in my life and I hear they are outstanding tablefare.

Ruger do you know were white oak cove/creek is at

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
GRIT":2ierv9zs said:
RUGER":2ierv9zs said:

Ruger do you know were white oak cove/creek is at
Lol no.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

GRIT

Danville ,cane creek ,negro hollow then white oak like going towards Jville left side of lake if you have a map start at Danville and you can't miss it

WTM

GRIT":3awkufym said:
Danville ,cane creek ,negro hollow then white oak like going towards Jville left side of lake if you have a map start at Danville and you can't miss it

lol, i figured it would only be a matter of time until somebody listed those bays.

since the cat is out of the bag, stay on those bays on the east side like grit mentioned, they like the clear water bays. when the water temp is 70 or below you can catch them shallow. they feed in the daylight only and move toward the banks as it gets darker and shutdown at dark. exactly like yellow bass and they are bottom or near bottom feeders, with the exception they are constantly moving thats why most people catch one hear and one there. use your 2d sonar to follow them.

if you are a good bluegill fisherman you shouldnt have any problem at least finding some in the same type of locations where you would catch bull bluegill. i use a drop shot rig with a gulp minnow just like i use for deepwater bluegill, except with a 2" minnow. lift and bounce it off the bottom.

good luck

Latest posts