Y'all seen the harvest report??!!!

MattZ9

Just this weekend, this WEEKEND, opening weekend of muzzleloader! Hope your sitting down lol. 10,001 as of 7:15
66c924ce2dbf827bb5aa3e16d8af49d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

megalomaniac

kill a little on the low side? No matter, the rest of ML will more than make up for it. The VAST majority of bucks are now killed in ML season. If you aren't out there this time of the year, most of the better bucks are dead by opening of gun and you missed the boat. I suppose it's the change in the equipment more than anything. Once upon a time, I ML hunted with a TC Hawken and open sights... 100 yards was PUSHING it. 75 to be a sure thing. Now with inline smokeless ML's, effective range is 400 yards. No different than a rifle.

MattZ9

Up to 10,287 as of 8:35. And you know what sucks. I've worked all weekend [emoji51]

catman529

All the deer were killed off on Saturday because I didn't see a single deer today :lol: glad to see people have had a good weekend.

MattZ9

catman529":1vw3tkol said:
All the deer were killed off on Saturday because I didn't see a single deer today :lol: glad to see people have had a good weekend.

Definitely!

DRSJ35

I been having trouble looking up management area kills on the new hunters toolbox has anybody else?

PickettSFHunter

megalomaniac":15skra90 said:
kill a little on the low side? No matter, the rest of ML will more than make up for it. The VAST majority of bucks are now killed in ML season. If you aren't out there this time of the year, most of the better bucks are dead by opening of gun and you missed the boat. I suppose it's the change in the equipment more than anything. Once upon a time, I ML hunted with a TC Hawken and open sights... 100 yards was PUSHING it. 75 to be a sure thing. Now with inline smokeless ML's, effective range is 400 yards. No different than a rifle.
Yep.

megalomaniac

lightsareout":1hyl8l88 said:
why is ML before rifle?

It's a throwback to the early 1980's.... season used to be closed between the end of archery and opening of gun (except first weekend of Nov was juvenile season).

ML seasons were originally concieved to allow additional hunter opportunity without impacting the resource... extremely important with lower populations of game animals. The technology of ML's back then certainly made pulling the trigger on an animal NOT a sure thing. After a period of time, and after the population reached near carrying capacity, ML season became important only from a standpoint of additional income for state game agencies. So important in TN that it would be impossible for the state to move ML season that would result in a loss of revenue from license sales.

MS fixed that problem a couple years ago. The state realized that modern ML's were no different than rifles in their effectiveness on game, yet the state still needed the 'primitive weapon' license sales. So they just kept the 'primitive weapon' season, but allowed hunters to use any method of take during that season, as long as they buy the 'primitive weapon' license.

Now out west, ML season still functions as it was intended. Additional hunter opportunity and license sales for increased revenue for the state. But to prevent overharvest of game, most states make restrictions to limit the effectiveness of ML's... For example, in Colorado, you cannot use sabots, pyrodex pellets. In other states, scopes are forbidden on ML's.

bloodtrailing

They opened up doe opportunities in additional counties this year. Comparing year over year is really irrelevant when they change the bag limits.

That is the problem I have with judging the deer heard health on harvest stats. That counts what is dead, not what is living. Changes in bag limits, which have gotten more liberal, only makes it more of a problem.

lightsareout

megalomaniac":2lzvazfi said:
lightsareout":2lzvazfi said:
why is ML before rifle?

It's a throwback to the early 1980's.... season used to be closed between the end of archery and opening of gun (except first weekend of Nov was juvenile season).

ML seasons were originally concieved to allow additional hunter opportunity without impacting the resource... extremely important with lower populations of game animals. The technology of ML's back then certainly made pulling the trigger on an animal NOT a sure thing. After a period of time, and after the population reached near carrying capacity, ML season became important only from a standpoint of additional income for state game agencies. So important in TN that it would be impossible for the state to move ML season that would result in a loss of revenue from license sales.

MS fixed that problem a couple years ago. The state realized that modern ML's were no different than rifles in their effectiveness on game, yet the state still needed the 'primitive weapon' license sales. So they just kept the 'primitive weapon' season, but allowed hunters to use any method of take during that season, as long as they buy the 'primitive weapon' license.

Now out west, ML season still functions as it was intended. Additional hunter opportunity and license sales for increased revenue for the state. But to prevent overharvest of game, most states make restrictions to limit the effectiveness of ML's... For example, in Colorado, you cannot use sabots, pyrodex pellets. In other states, scopes are forbidden on ML's.

thank you! this is an awesome explanation and history on the TN seasons! I would sure love to see TN to be more like Missouri; with modern Black Powder there really is minimal difference between them and rifles now.

Andy S.

megalomaniac":2595y0q0 said:
If you aren't out there this time of the year, most of the better bucks are dead by opening of gun and you missed the boat.
This is true for the northern counties (Nashville area etc), but here in the SW portion, the better bucks don't start hitting the ground until November 20th at the earliest, with last week of November and first week of December being prime time. I would be fine not hunting at all in my neck of the woods until November 15th every year if I was only pursuing mature bucks.

Mike Belt

Andy... I agree with that sentiment. I'm making every effort to stay away from where I expect to rut hunt. I'm getting antsy. :drool:

megalomaniac

LOL, my local rut here in South MS doesn't even start until mid- January. I don't bother hunting here until New Years... just no point.

Latest posts