XFL coming back?

wayne

Good chance of making it this time. With no political or social bias, no targeting and football fans sick of the NFL. Maybe the investors/owners can break even this time.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

PillsburyDoughboy

wayne":2z79g52v said:
Good chance of making it this time. With no political or social bias, no targeting and football fans sick of the NFL. Maybe the investors/owners can break even this time.

The water is the right temperature right now for something like this but I am not sure the fish will bite in even with that.

I just don't see it working past 5 years .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyB

PillsburyDoughboy":1prvff1t said:
wayne":1prvff1t said:

The water is the right temperature right now for something like this but I am not sure the fish will bite in even with that.

I still don't see it making past two-three years max

cbhunter

TreyB":18l32tip said:
PillsburyDoughboy":18l32tip said:
wayne":18l32tip said:

I still don't see it making past two-three years max

Me either, VM is a joke

Scioto

I don't think the new XFL will even make it to the starting line in 2020.

There is an alternative to the NFL already. Crazy fans, 100 year old rivalries, characters as coaches, mascots, controversy and debate, teams from different regions of the country that have never played each other playing, high scoring offensive displays, stout defensive battles, teams playing in front of 100,000 fans, teams from who knows where playing in front of a few hundred. That alternative is college football.

I am also concerned that the XFL could try to sign high school players straight from high school. Let's face it, there are some who in the infamous words of Cardale Jones "aint come to play school." In my view, the XFL is more of a threat to college football in that it could try to take high school recruits or the 5 star red shirt freshman unhappy with his place on the depth chart.

Go away Vince.

Scioto

I'll also add that NFL viewership ratings and attendance were in decline before the national anthem kneeling started. I think there are two main causes - CTE and saturation. It used to be I had my local team on one network on Sunday, and no other game at that time, and then the national game at late afternoon. Then the Monday Night Football game. That was it. NFL was true appointment viewing. Now there's a Thursday night game, a second game on when my local team is playhing (or every game if I get the Sunday Ticket), the a Sunday night game, then Monday Night Football, and then after the college conference championships are over, a couple Saturday games. Complete saturation. The casual fan isn't interested in that. The serious fan has now been offended by the kneeling. And then you've got CTE. A lot of casual fans, mothers, etc, won't watch because of that. Now a new leading study has come out saying concussions are irrelevant. It's the repeated hits to the head, whether a concussion results or not, that matter. The XFL will be just more football saturation and the casual fan won't tune it. The XFL is just another opportunity for casual fans to watch men develop CTE. They won't tune in.

College football largely remains appointment viewing. Sure you can tune in to a Maction game on Tuesday or some AAC game on Thursday, but for the most part it is appointment viewing on Saturday. CTE is still an issue, but maybe to the casual fan it seems like college is trying harder to do something about it (ejecting players, changing how and how many days/hours teams practice, etc.)

Too much of something isn't always a good thing.

BamaProud

2015 was the NFL's most viewed year on record:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick did not stand during the national anthem during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers on Aug. 26 2006.

CTE and other things may also be factors, but how would that explain the increase in viewership of College games during that same time period.

Scioto

BamaProud":118p7ftn said:
2015 was the NFL's most viewed year on record:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015 ... story.html

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick did not stand during the national anthem during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers on Aug. 26 2006.

CTE and other things may also be factors, but how would that explain the increase in viewership of College games during that same time period.

meh. Not going to debate.

I don't think this ever gets off the ground and will never challenge the NFL.

BamaProud

I don't think the intent is to challenge the NFL. It is supposed to be played in the Summer. It may not even be on traditional TV. It'll be a totally different game, fast paced, fun, likely with fan interaction of some sort, new camera angles(maybe body cams of some sort) mic-ed players, touchdown celebrations etc... Probably with a bit of a gambling/fantasy football focus if the Sports gambling legislation get passed as expected Maybe interactive gambling?. Sponsored teams so no commercials like Soccer? It could be very entertaining.

I'd bet is also has some of the WWE type drama mixed in given Vince McMahon is financing it.

AllOutdoors

BamaProud":25fpq2ov said:
I hope it does well. The NFL has gotten way to boring and political.

Can you imagine Tim Tebow and Johnny Manziel dueling it out. I'd watch!
I hope it does good as well.

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk