Wyoming Elk 2018

TX300mag

It looks like I'll be putting in for elk in areas 59 and 56. One of the hunters in our group has a connection to legally guide us in wilderness area and has horses, so we don't have to drag any from Texas.

Does anyone know anything about these areas or have any experience with them? Can someone explain the odds to me in simple terms? It sounds like we're going the General route. I'm fine with the preference point-gotta start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlackEagle1

I'm not sure there is an easy way to explain the draw odds. The special draw typically increases your odds of getting a tag by about 1 preference point (PP). I just looked at the 2017 odds report real fast and it shows that you Had a 75% chance with <1 PP and 100% with 1 PP in the special draw. In the regular draw it took a min of 2 PP to get a general tag.

That special elk tag is $1,268.00

Wyoming averages PP's in a group and this is why you have the < PP lines on the draw odds. So if 3 guys were going (guy 1 has 2 PP, guy 2 has 2 PP, guy 3 has 1 PP) your average is 1.7 so you fall into the <2 option.

I'm not familiar with the area, but I would expect a good population of large predators. Looking at that wilderness map I would be dang sure I had that resident guide lined up before drawing a tag.

Hope this helps
Good luck!!

TX300mag

One of the four of us has preference points, maybe a couple.

The guide isn't tied to an outfitter anymore, but lives in Cody and is experienced in the areas. These were his recommendation. I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity, especially being new to western hunting. I'll likely go to Colorado if I don't get drawn, but learning the ropes with somebody experienced makes me feel much better about jumping into all this.

AT Hiker

I'm super jealous TX! That country West of Cody is gorgeous and wild.
Ask your buddy if he will take me into the Thorofare? I will take care of any future taxidermy debts he might incur!

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker":33bfgzpu said:
That country West of Cody is gorgeous and wild.

P1010160 by Buzz McManus, on Flickr

P1010168 by Buzz McManus, on Flickr

P1010178 by Buzz McManus, on Flickr

P1010150 by Buzz McManus, on Flickr

The mountains in the background would be Elk Area 53, which is the area adjacent to the north of the areas you are wanting to draw. I've got better pictures from just hiking and fishing in the mountains, but the digital version of them are forever lost on photobucket.

Latest posts