Wyoming deer and antelope

BAMA BOW MERKER

Both were in the south west region of the state. Deer I'm thinking was W, K, and H. 91, 92 and 60 I think for the goats. We picked some with the higher quota numbers to offer. Any advice would be welcome, this would be my first trip. Good luck to you guys.

AT Hiker

BAMA BOW MERKER said:
Both were in the south west region of the state. Deer I'm thinking was W, K, and H. 91, 92 and 60 I think for the goats. We picked some with the higher quota numbers to offer. Any advice would be welcome, this would be my first trip. Good luck to you guys.

Your antelope areas are going to be tough to draw if you do not have any points, but those are pretty good areas with lots of public land.

For deer; W- you should draw with 0 points but K&H might be tough to draw with 0 points on the regular draw. Region H is famed mule deer country, but remember non-residents cannot hunt the wilderness areas without a guide or resident hunter. If you draw H you might want to research areas 130 and 138, they may offer more public land without the wilderness issues. If you draw W look into area 82, little better deer numbers and less checker board patterns...but there are a lot of hunters too.

trealtree

AT Hiker said:
BAMA BOW MERKER said:

Your antelope areas are going to be tough to draw if you do not have any points, but those are pretty good areas with lots of public land.

For deer; W- you should draw with 0 points but K&H might be tough to draw with 0 points on the regular draw. Region H is famed mule deer country, but remember non-residents cannot hunt the wilderness areas without a guide or resident hunter. If you draw H you might want to research areas 130 and 138, they may offer more public land without the wilderness issues. If you draw W look into area 82, little better deer numbers and less checker board patterns...but there are a lot of hunters too.

I believe 130 is dependant on snow pushing them down as well. keep that in mind.

AT Hiker knows all the deer are in region Z though.

Buzzard Breath

Well, The antelope unit I applied for cut 25 tags this year. I was on the bubble on whether I would draw or not before the tag cut. Unless alot of people went points only this year due to the drought, it looks like I'd better start researching some back-up plans. I have a feeling that people are cashing in their points due to the threatened price increases.

Buzzard Breath

AT Hiker said:
ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER said:
I hope to go one of these years

If you have not started building points I suggest doing so now. For WY its a small investment that will pay off big time when you decide to go.

One of the good things about buying points in WY is that they let you average your points with other applicants if you put in as a party. So, if you start buying points this year, then one of your buddies wants to go a couple years down the road, WY will take the average of the points between the two of you instead of just the lowest number of points between the applicants.

Buzzard Breath

I don't know about the rest of you, but it looks like I'm hunting antelope in Wyoming this fall :grin:

Draw results are up.

Latest posts