Wyoming cuts 11,300 mule deer & antelope tags

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
a buddy and I went for Mule deer last year and the farmers said they had been hit hard. We are debating on putting in for antelope this year or building our points for a few more years. Currently sitting at 4.66 as a 3 man group. its a tough decision this year.

gtk

Staff member
this is my 2nd year putting in for Antelope in WY. Still hoping I have a chance for this year, since it will be on private land.

I didnt understand the way WY does points now. I thought if you didnt get drawn, you get a pref-point. After reading up on it, I now understand you ahve to "buy" a point after the draw is over. Is that correct?

tellico4x4

For nonresident elk, deer & antelope you must buy a preference point when they go on sale during summer. If you are successful on your first choice draw, then you are not eligible to buy a preference point the same year you draw.

For nonresident moose & sheep applicants that are unsuccessful on first choice draw, a point will be awarded but cost ($150 I think) will be deducted from license fee.

Clear as mud? PIA that every western state is different but that's the way it is ...

Did notice this year that more nonresidents have max deer points (16) than have 14 or 15...Given the current condition of deer herd, that'll probably be the last one I'll burn.

Mattt

Wyoming is my favorite state and favorite place to hunt. Strong possibility we will have a home there in the next year or so. But I let my points go 2 years ago and chase another state now.

41Magnum

a buddy and I went for Mule deer last year and the farmers said they had been hit hard. We are debating on putting in for antelope this year or building our points for a few more years. Currently sitting at 4.66 as a 3 man group. its a tough decision this year.
Was going this year but the 4 of us decided to hold off till next year, the Guide also recommended it as well. We have 4 points as a group but we'll have 8 next year and building up our Deer and Elk points as well. Was really looking forward to going but oh well.

tellico4x4

Was going this year but the 4 of us decided to hold off till next year, the Guide also recommended it as well. We have 4 points as a group but we'll have 8 next year and building up our Deer and Elk points as well. Was really looking forward to going but oh well.
Believe you made a good choice waiting. Fire season is already off to a record start this year...

WY averages your points across the group, so if there are 4 of you with 2 points each, then your group application will be 2 points not 8.

CO & SD uses the lowest number in group & assigns that number to entire group. I had 3 points for SD special buck this year & a buddy only had one. We applied individually as I had 100% chance drawing & he had a 33%. If we had applied as a group, we'd each had the 33%. Thankfully, he drew as well but I was still going if he had not.

sneakybow

I hunted WY last year for deer, 2019 for elk. I live out here in ID now so not the same logistical issues as you guys coming from back home. NM and AZ and southern CO are taking the brunt of the fires now, it has been snowing and raining here until just a couple of days ago. Cool, wet spring has got some good feed going, could be a good horn year if you draw a tag. Debating on staying out of WY points game now, but may buy a deer point this summer and go with my cousin next year. He's sitting on 6, didn't apply with us last year, and he'll have 7 after this point season. Hard not to go hunting these days, because the future doesn't necessarily look brighter than the now.

megalomaniac

My son drew his antelope tag for WY! Burned 6pts on a unit that used to only take 3, but took 6 last year due to the increase in applications... no idea how many it took this year, but we HAD to go this fall as he will be on college next fall.

For those of you with young kids, I'd highly recommend putting them in for points in WY when they turn 11 for $10.per year. When they turn 17, they have 6 points and you get the reduced rate youth tag for a little over $100.

Of course rumor is most of the NR tags are going to going to get turned into landowner and outfitter tags in the future... so it could be next to impossible for a NR to do a DIY hunt in WY if thise changes pass. (Like NM).

gtk

Staff member
Point creep in CO is terrible. There is a lot of "anti-non resident" hunter sentiment in CO, and growing stronger year after year. Seems like WY is too. I think WY my be tougher on NR than CO is right now.

tellico4x4

My son drew his antelope tag for WY! Burned 6pts on a unit that used to only take 3, but took 6 last year due to the increase in applications... no idea how many it took this year, but we HAD to go this fall as he will be on college next fall.

For those of you with young kids, I'd highly recommend putting them in for points in WY when they turn 11 for $10.per year. When they turn 17, they have 6 points and you get the reduced rate youth tag for a little over $100.

Of course rumor is most of the NR tags are going to going to get turned into landowner and outfitter tags in the future... so it could be next to impossible for a NR to do a DIY hunt in WY if thise changes pass. (Like NM).
Congrats on the draw! Took both grandsons when they were 13 with youth tags.

Latest posts