Wyoming antelope 2018

lungpuncher1

Myself and two buddies are in the early stages of planning a Wyoming antelope hunt. We are wanting to rifle hunt. This will be our first ever trip west for something other than whitetail. So trophy hunting won't be an issue. Numbers would be better if possible. Any tips or guidance? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Have you built any points yet? This month is the deadline for purchasing 2017 points.
Start becoming familiar with the WY Game and Fish site, lots of good information on there. Learn draw odds, tag types and access.
Now, do you want a DIY public land hunt or Outfitted hunt? Neither will make you more or less of a man, though some people think it does. You also have the trespass option, which is probably a perfect balance between guided/diy. Problem will be finding a ranch that offers trespass hunts.
If you are hell bent on DIY, then it will take a few years to have a truly quality hunt that has that"Western" feel. I have done DIY 2nd choice pronghorn hunts on public land. They are doable but require some dedication on the planning end and it's hard to capture that Western feel that a unit with plentiful public access offers (of course it needs to be a unit with good animal numbers as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigtex

Don't do it!!!! You'll be hooked for life lol. There's nothing like it if you are in a good area.
AT Hiker gave you some solid advice.
I answered your PM btw.

lungpuncher1

AT Hiker":3k7e8o4m said:
Have you built any points yet? This month is the deadline for purchasing 2017 points.
Start becoming familiar with the WY Game and Fish site, lots of good information on there. Learn draw odds, tag types and access.
Now, do you want a DIY public land hunt or Outfitted hunt? Neither will make you more or less of a man, though some people think it does. You also have the trespass option, which is probably a perfect balance between guided/diy. Problem will be finding a ranch that offers trespass hunts.
If you are hell bent on DIY, then it will take a few years to have a truly quality hunt that has that"Western" feel. I have done DIY 2nd choice pronghorn hunts on public land. They are doable but require some dedication on the planning end and it's hard to capture that Western feel that a unit with plentiful public access offers (of course it needs to be a unit with good animal numbers as well).

No points. But I'm fine with buying a point asap.

We are looking more towards diy or a trespass fee.

Bigtex answered aloy of questions and I appreciate that!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Get your point ASAP and don't forget to keep buying one every year. One missed year and you revert back to ZERO.
The central part of WY offers some good units. Simply study the draw odds and if a * is beside a unit number in the Game and Fish table that means it's difficult access, believe that warning.
Like Bigtex said, it truly is addictive. You have ample time to plan so don't stress that. Tag prices are due to increase next year or so, that could mean people might be cashing in points. If it does, draw odds will improve some...maybe.

LanceS4803

Went to the WY site to get an antelope preference point.
$30!!
Is that right? I've been getting UT points for years at $10 each.

AT Hiker

LanceS4803":2jhx7r0f said:
$30!!

Yes, but in UT you must purchase a license. In WY all you have to do is buy the point. Western hunting has put a dent on my retirement, even though I'm mainly a DIY hunter.

LanceS4803

AT Hiker":vxwh1y2a said:
LanceS4803":vxwh1y2a said:
$30!!

Yes, but in UT you must purchase a license. In WY all you have to do is buy the point. Western hunting has put a dent on my retirement, even though I'm mainly a DIY hunter.

I was hoping there wasn't going to be an Annual License surprise at the end of trying to get a point.

So, I went in to get a point and apparently I have registered there before. They had all my info that auto-populated.
Weird. Now to figure out what the heck I did years ago!

Jmed

I too am building WY points for deer, elk, and antelope. Killed my first antelope with a bow this past year in MT and buddy it is addictive! Not to mention the meat is fantastic!

Latest posts