WY Tag Increase Pass

wjohnson1983

So many errors in that article from the way I understand it.

Wyoming is already divided 60/40 for regular/special. I don't believe the 40% will get "first crack" since the tags are divided before the draw and if there is only 1 tag it goes to regular draw due to 60 being greater than 40.

Special elk tag is now ~$2000 and the $1200 quoted is only the special fee without the regular tag price added on.

Special deer and antelope will be over $1,000 total.

tellico4x4

41Magnum

The outfitter we are going with this fall told me that most of the folks that work for the Wyoming game and fish don't even hunt or fish. They have allowed too many does to be harvested and it's affecting the Antelope population in a big way.

Buzzard Breath

It'll be interesting to see what happens with point creep. I imagine it will shoot through the roof for general tags, but will special tags get easier to draw, or just plateau for a few years? Will people really be willing to spend $874 for a middle of the road antelope unit? Or, are they like me and would spend that in order to hunt them every 2-3 years?

Buzzard Breath

And, the way this winter is looking, it'll be a horrible year for guys who just want to draw a deer or antelope hunt and get out of the game.

Redfox

I don't think that it will change much accept the amount of money Wyoming makes. It will mess with the way some people play the game but the vast majority will just pay and carry on. I think western states are well aware of the non resident bottomless gold mine.

FISH

only problem is people like me have been putting in for 6-7 years for points.
do we get grandfathered in at the old tag price.
I think not.
that is what sucks

Redfox

Oh I feel your pain. I have a pocket full of points and a plan to burn some in 24. I'll just apply for elk & deer in the normal draw, which apparently didn't change. If you have that many points this probably isn't the first price hike you have seen. Colorado is next for a shift in price or point system change.

LanceS4803

Until we know what happened with winter kill, it looks like I'll be putting off that WY pronghorn hunt for a while. :(
Sitting at 6

tellico4x4

Good plan. It's not just this winter, but past several & terrible drought have really knocked the antelope back. Good news is that they bounce back quicker than deer & elk. A couple good years of weather & you'll have good bucks to chase.
Sitting at 14 across the board ( thought I had 15 but no). Age & health are the biggest thing against me from here on out for western hunts. Hunted SD this past fall and have a NE hunt this year. Hoping to draw WY elk in 2025. Grandson & I are going to pool our points with a couple of guys that don't have quite as many so probably looking at 13-14 pp units. Plan on going out next year early fall & stay several weeks scouting. Will look at new deer & antelope units while there and plan accordingly after elk.

tellico4x4

The outfitter we are going with this fall told me that most of the folks that work for the Wyoming game and fish don't even hunt or fish. They have allowed too many does to be harvested and it's affecting the Antelope population in a big way.
Weather the past 4 years has affected the antelope more than anything

ThorThor

Do those elk hunts sooner than later. I apply in 10 states and hunt elk every year pretty much. Those mountains get taller fast even at 44 now I notice a huge difference in just 5 years ago. Pronghorn you can hunt at any age.

ThorThor

Also. Western wy is where is the deep snow issues were. The eastern half had a normal winter. Elk will be not effected much at all compared to the W and SW Wyoming deer and pronghorn die off this year. I elk hunted wy last year to help my cousin w a tag and there were pronghorn everywhere. Do not let the doom and gloom keep you from going west. Get out there while you can, point creep, tag cost and your age are only getting worse every year. I hunt 3/4 tags every year and try to get it done in 5 or so weeks out west every year and yes it is a logistical nightmare with work, I park at airport fly back, work four 12s and fly back out sometimes. But I find a way. If you want to go, go.
PM me if you want any advice, I help out some friends locally and do not mind to respond with advice.