Smokeless WTB: Smokeless

Smokeless

FatTire

Looking for smokeless other than Savage. Looking for 45 cal bullet to bore. Arrowhead,Hankins,Centerpunch,Richards, etc.

I recall a couple guys that use to post here that build fine rifles as well. Any leads would be appreciated.

KPH

i have both savage and arrowhead and both will drop a deer in it tracks. right now i think i like the 45 arrowhead the best but wouldn't be scared to pick up the savage. i have arrowhead with large rifle mag. primers.

hittingsteal

i have both savage and arrowhead and both will drop a deer in it tracks. right now i think i like the 45 arrowhead the best but wouldn't be scared to pick up the savage. i have arrowhead with large rifle mag. primers.
What size shank do you have on the aarowhead builds ?

Jcalder

sorry to be so dumb what is a shank
The part of the barrel where the charge would sit. Generally there is a length that some people specify.

I don't think it's the case here, but it could also refer to a savage style barrel where they use a barrel nut. Savage has a standard and large or magnum shank I believe is what they are referred as.

jlanecr500

Tenon= threaded portion of barrel that resides in the reciever.

Shank= is the diameter of the initial straight section ahead of the tenon.

Remington has one tenon size 1 1/16" and the barrel shank can be up to 1 1/4"

Savage small tenon are 1 1/16"
And large tenon are 1 1/8".
Savage barrel shanks tend to be the same diameter as the tenon due to having a barrel nut. However, when not using a barrel nut, the shank can be 1 1/4"

Shank length - We tend to like a 5" shank length before taper starts. So, a barrel with a 1 1/4" shank 5 "long tapering to 3/4" at 28" could be turned and threaded for Remington, Savage small tenon, or Savage large tenon and be equally strong in either one.

The gun that KPH has is a single shot conversion with a match grade barrel. They are limited on shank size to right around 1" due to their design. This is why it is advised to refrain from shooting hotrod loads in them.

Obviously, a larger shank can handle more pressure before failure.
My pressure test gun has a shank diameter of 1.385" and a 115,000 psi load swelled it .005" right behind where the bullet sits on the powder. That same load would have made a 1" shank barrel look like a pealed banana.

Last edited:

hittingsteal

The part of the barrel where the charge would sit. Generally there is a length that some people specify.

I don't think it's the case here, but it could also refer to a savage style barrel where they use a barrel nut. Savage has a standard and large or magnum shank I believe is what they are referred as.
Jeff offers a standard bolt face which is 308 etc and also. Magnum. But shank on most of custom barrells range 4 to 5 inch if you plans on getting that 2800 to 3200 fps.

hittingsteal

sorry to be so dumb what is a shank
Its nothing dumb to ask. You have these guys running them out the doors fast as they can. 3 things that will get you killed or hurt. Short shank, blow back , wrong head space. These 45 that are shooting 72 plus grains is around 65,000 psi. Thats like comparing 300 ultra mag beside your face. So let that sink in. I have been to several gun builders that have showed me the good n bad and spent several months in fl at gordy gritters school. Just do your home work. Some like lukes work, but the man that invented the org plug was jeff hankins..PERIOD

hittingsteal

could i have contact info if you think its for sale
This is a hi end build . not a cheap gun if you had it built with all the bolt work barrel work would be over 5 grand alone.
Rusty---- 615 888 7267. Tell him Danny told u about gun.

Latest posts