Wow, just wow.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Fished Gibson County Lake today with MAN.

I threw a few times and changed to a 10" culprit worm.
My third cast with it I got a bite.
I set the hook..... hard.

I knew immediately it was big. One of them when you set the hook and nothing moves. :shock:

Good battle, 7 1/2' rod bent double, saw a little color and then it decided to leave.
Rod tip went into the water and literally under the boat as the fish started pulling drag.

I was relatively calm but when MAN saw this he started freaking out and jumped down in the bottom of the boat to get ready to grab it.
Finally got it to the top and saw the entire fish. Wow.
I have caught one bass that was just over 8 pounds and have landed one for man a little bigger than that.

Never in my life have I ever seen a bass like this.
No clue but I would have to bet my life it was in the 10 to 12 pound range.
Absolutely crazy.
Man said it didn't even look like a bass. LOL

After I got it to the boat, just out of MAN'S reach it flopped once and the hook just came out pretty as you please. :moon:

Oh well, it was an awesome feeling and sight.
I can see why people get so tore up over bass fishing now.

I only had one worm that color and lost it a few casts later.
Only bite I had the whole time we were there.

Worth the trip though. :D
Alas, the one that got away.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Honestly when I am soft bait fishing I don't normally have very many bass come off at all.
5/0 Gamakatsu wide gap hook and I set the hook hard when I set it.
Man laughs at me when I set on one that is small and close to the boat and it flies over our heads.

Just unlucky I guess. :D

easy45

I would have literally sit there and cried, it is nice to know there are still some Giants in there though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HenryCohunter

Me and my best friend and bass tournament partner were fishing a small back lake off the White River prefishing for a redman final. It had been cold and misty all morning and the fishing was slow. And as always happens when it's slow I wasn't paying as much attention as I should. I flipped my jig into a small bush and looked at Bubba and said "maybe we should go try the dikes.." Look back and my line was moving sideways out of the bush. I slammed back on my 7.6 flipping stick hard.. As I always do when jig fishing.. And the fish on the other end didn't give and inch. It surged for open water causing me to chase it around the front of the boat stripping drag as it went. I screamed " get the net!!!" Hoping against hope it wasn't some trash fish. About 2 seconds later it rolled and surged for the bottom again. I about choked. I have a 11 pound 7 ounce bass on my wall and this one was for sure bigger. It was so big it could barely throw its head over when it broke the surface the second time. As it turned for the 3 rd time I saw my jig come out like a rocket and slam into the side of the boat and I watched that monster return from whence it came. I was shaking so bad I had to sit down for a bit.. All Bubba kept saying was.. That's the biggest fish I have ever even seen.. Haha.

Andy S.

RUGER":z3ja0yeb said:
After I got it to the boat, just out of MAN'S reach it flopped once and the hook just came out pretty as you please.
I hate to hear that Ruger. Did you have a net to use? The reason I ask is I know a lot of bass fishermen who tell me stories similar to this, but refuse to use a net, even when they have an extra hand in the boat to assist. I don't get it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Andy,
Yes we have a net but it was at the house yesterday. LOL

When I said just out of man's reach, he MIGHT have been able to reach it with a net but I honestly doubt it.
Also it was the first roll on the surface and the fish was still very green and fresh.

The way it came up and the amount of time, or lack thereof, it spent on top, he wouldn't have been able to net it.

Yes, the net is in the boat again and will remain there. :)

TheLBLman

RUGER":1x7osc99 said:
Man said it didn't even look like a bass. LOL
Sounds a lot like a big bowfin (grinnel) to me! :mrgreen:
I've purposefully lost several over the years as onlookers thought I was battling a 12-lb bass.
Bowfin can look a lot like a bass while on the end of a line.

hornsdonteat

RUGER":21ps494b said:
Honestly when I am soft bait fishing I don't normally have very many bass come off at all.
5/0 Gamakatsu wide gap hook and I set the hook hard when I set it. :D
Man laughs at me when I set on one that is small and close to the boat and it flies over our heads.

Just unlucky I guess. :D
I broke a 7'6 flipping stick in two places on a pound fish and jerked it over the boat :lol: I guess I took the term cross there eyes litterly but...If I loose a fish its usually breaking off on hook set not at boat but it does happen,I lost a monster smallie at boat off crankbait ,still think about that fish

TNReb

A buddy of mine works for TWRA fisheries and they shock/sample Gibson County. He says that lake has some absolute studs.

Wish you'd have got that one in.

TheDuke'sBack

Sorry you didn't get to put your hands on her. I would still be crying about it lol.

I guess that's whats its all about. AT least you got a good look at him

Latest posts