Wouldn't it be nice

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
To actually KNOW you actually had a shot at getting drawn?
I mean like when you used to put your name in the pot yourself and got to watch them pull names?

Also wish you could see somewhere that showed where everyone that was drawn was from.

I can only imagine the crapshow the daily draw are gonna be.

WilcoKen

I get the feeling this will fall on deaf Commission ears but I signed it.
I signed it. I especially like the recommendation to invest in more use of existing virgin WMAs for waterfowl opportunities. IMO that is the best option for creating REAL opportunities for EVERYONE.

cbhunter

I got the petition signed and was going to give $20 to the effort ,but it will not let me do the paypal thing and ain't giving it my credit card.
Where exactly does the money go is my question? To the person that created the petition or what? If no changes are made and it falls on deaf ears…what happens to the money?? I guess I'm dumb to all that

woodyard

As I understood it, it would go to advertise the petition in order for more people to see it and hopefully sign on. Wouldn't be the first time I bought a bird dog and it didn't turn out as stated. Lol
But since I wouldn't do a credit card with them I saved my 20.
Might add that it has the paypal option but every time I tried I wound up some other place.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Where exactly does the money go is my question? To the person that created the petition or what? If no changes are made and it falls on deaf ears…what happens to the money?? I guess I'm dumb to all that
I'm in the same boat, unless it went to cover costs associated with printing and binding a copy of the petition for each of the Commissioners, and maybe postage to mail them to them.

cbhunter

I'm in the same boat, unless it went to cover costs associated with printing and binding a copy of the petition for each of the Commissioners, and maybe postage to mail them to them.
That makes sense i guess. I did sign the petition but just unsure on the donation part. I did see some for $50 and bunches of $10-$20 at a quick glance

UpperTully

I get the feeling this will fall on deaf Commission ears but I signed it.
I saw when he posted this. If I'm reading this correctly, I am against this petition.

The petitioner is a young fella from the Dickson area so I'd wager he really doesn't know what he's talking about based off the places he listed. Especially along the Mississippi River.

Ernest Rice, Moss Island, John Tully, Fort Ridge, Tumbleweed, Wolf River - These WMAs are free for all, walk in or boat in and duck hunt until it's the WMA shut down time. (Tully has Fig Field which is a draw hunt but has over 15k acres anyone can hunt)

President's Island - Port Commission won't allow that being it's located in the City of Memphis.

Hatchie River - free for all, find a spot and hunt all day. TWRA doesn't have any land adjoining the Hatchie. So what's the purpose of mentioning it?

I'm trying to figure out how these areas aren't safe and accessible?

Why create more draw hunts or extra control by TWRA? We're struggling to find decent places to hunt along the big river when the river isnt up. Most of the good spots have resorted to become draw hunts.

Last edited:

UpperTully

I signed it. I especially like the recommendation to invest in more use of existing virgin WMAs for waterfowl opportunities. IMO that is the best option for creating REAL opportunities for EVERYONE.
There's over 150k acres of WMA's and NWR land along the Mississippi River, not including the Mississippi River and its navigable waterways you can hunt any day of duck season. The REAL opportunity is already there. What else do you need?

tickweed

I saw when he posted this. If I'm reading this correctly, I am against this petition. The petitioner is a young fella from the Dickson area so I'd wager he really doesn't know what he's talking about based off the places he listed.

Ernest Rice, Moss Island, John Tully, Fort Ridge, Tumbleweed, Wolf River - These WMAs are free for all, walk in or boat in and duck hunt until it's the WMA shut down time. (Tully has Fig Field which is a draw hunt.)

President's Island - Port Commission won't allow that being it's located in the City of Memphis.

Hatchie River - free for all, find a spot and hunt all day. TWRA doesn't have any land adjoining the Hatchie. So what's the purpose of mentioning it?

I'm trying to figure out how these areas aren't safe and accessible?

Why create more draw hunts or extra control by TWRA? We're struggling to find decent places to hunt along the big river when the river isnt up. Most of the good spots have resorted to become draw hunts.
Grays landing in hardeman county is in hatchie bottom

MickThompson

The problem with that is you've sacrificed any other habitat or hunting opportunity to crop and flood ground for ducks that may well never show up

WilcoKen

There's over 150k acres of WMA's and NWR land along the Mississippi River, not including the Mississippi River and its navigable waterways you can hunt any day of duck season. The REAL opportunity is already there. What else do you need?
You asked…so..Percy Priest WMA, Old Hickory Unit 3 WMA, Cordell Hull WMA, etc. with season long blinds. That'd be helpful.

UpperTully

You asked…so..Percy Priest WMA, Old Hickory Unit 3 WMA, Cordell Hull WMA, etc. with season long blinds. That'd be helpful.
I quote you "I especially like the recommendation to invest in more use of existing virgin WMAs for waterfowl opportunities. IMO that is the best option for creating REAL opportunities for EVERYONE"

What is keeping you from killing ducks on those "virgin" WMA's and how do you not have the opportunity to do so now? You have to have a season long blind to do that?

MickThompson

I quote you "I especially like the recommendation to invest in more use of existing virgin WMAs for waterfowl opportunities. IMO that is the best option for creating REAL opportunities for EVERYONE"

What is keeping you from killing ducks on those "virgin" WMA's and how do you not have the opportunity to do so now? You have to have a season long blind to do that?
The ducks (lack thereof) are keeping him from killing them

WilcoKen

Tully, I am just a big fan of season long blinds. Is that so bad?

Latest posts