Would you hunt with a muzzle brake installed?

KatManDew

Never hunted with one, but was looking at a gun that had one installed. Just curious if there were any reasons not to hunt with one.

Andy S.

I've owned a rifle with a brake for 20+ years. One piece of advice: always wear hearing protection when shooting any gun, but especially any gun with a brake. Muzzle brakes do reduce recoil and muzzle jump, which typically equates to better accuracy (more noticeable and beneficial at longer ranges), but they are LOUD. I mention longer ranges because if your typical shot is 65 yards in the hardwoods, you'll never be able to notice any appreciable gain in accuracy. If you typically shoot 300-500 yards across a cut bean field, then a brake could prove worthwhile for you. Other than the being loud and deafening over time, I cannot think of a negative.

Last edited:

KatManDew

i wouldnt shoot over 300 and a 6.5 creedmoor probably doesnt need any help reducing recoil. It would be for my 16 and 19 year old daughters so i'm thinking i should remove the brake. Rem 700 with threaded barrel. I believe i can buy a thread protector attachment to cover the exposed threads. Just not sure what that means for the accuracy of the gun. I think it was modified to accept the brake.

Jon54

I wear Walkers Game Ear muffs that cover both ears and increase ambient noise but shut off on the blast. I have a bad case of "CHS", (can't hear s#$t). Can't imagine hunting without them.

1908_Cubbies

I personally would be tempted to leave it on if it is for your teenage daughters. With the reduction in recoil, it could help with flinching unless they are already very experienced shooters. They should already be using hearing protection, so a little extra noise shouldn't matter.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Not without hearing protection. Even in the open, with strong prairie wind blowing, it's murder on the ears. Try a 7mm Rem Mag with the old Browning BOSS system ported…no thanks.

Rancocas

At an auction I bought a Ruger #1 in .220 Swift that somebody had installed a muzzle brake on it. It had been installed a bit off center, so the projectile hit the edge of the brake as it exited the barrel, thereby causing inaccuracy. Probably why the unknown person put the gun up for auction. Anyway, I fixed that problem and the rifle is accurate now. But, since I left the brake on, it sure is loud. Definitely don't need it!

Lost Lake

I haven't hunted with a brake, but if it's similar to a ported barrel in blast and noise, no thanks. I shot a deer in a steep hollow with a ported big bore rifle once….once.

I couldn't hear out of one ear for the rest of the day. Luckily most of it came back.

Latest posts