Wolf River WMA

shannon901

First time to hunt public land this year and a little unsure where to start. I have driven around the WR WMA in places that I could get to. Seems like some good land, but was wondering about the hunting pressure and any good tips to get to spots that might be good. I have On-X and there appears to be a lot that have no access roads. Appreciate any guidance and suggestions.

DoubleRidge

Welcome from Middle TN...I've never hunted Wolf River WMA. But hopefully others with more experience in the area with comment with some information. Good luck hunting!

david k.

I hunt on private land a few miles north of there but know several guys who hunt the WMA. They haven't shared their spots with me but I know they do go as deep and as far from the parking spots as possible and they've had good success over the years with deer and turkey on the WMA. Also note that there is additional WR-WMA property that is separate (farther west) than the big tract at LaGrange, TN.

Andy S.

My advice is pretty standard for most public land. Arrive early to park and be prepared to walk and get away from known parking spots. Hunt middle of the week if possible. Best of luck.

Last edited:

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
It's probably been 8 or 10 years since I've hunted there. It was archery-only all season except for two-week muzzle loader season back then. I hunted on weekdays and carried a climbing stand. I had good luck there and saw deer almost every time I hunted. I would walk a ways from the parking areas and sometimes set up in the woods not far from some fields with plenty of deer sign for evening hunts.

There were ladder stands and hanging stands all over the place. I don't know if these people had permission to leave them up from management or not. Since CWD has hit the area and with the new hunting rules, I don't know what the deer population is like now. I have heard that it is down but can't confirm.

There can always be the frustrations that come with public land hunting. I had one hunt pretty much boogered up when a guy was hunting and running his rabbit dogs all around me. I stayed put though thinking maybe the dogs would stir the deer up but no luck; it was pretty annoying though I did watch a rabbit put the tricks on the dogs.

shannon901

Thanks guys! Pretty much what i suspected. I went Turkey hunting (no luck) at the Hatchie NWR in the spring. It was covered up in hunters so kinda expect the same for deer there. I also tried the Meeman Shelby Forest as well during Turkey season. Heard a couple and saw a hog, but got busted up a few times from other hunters there as well. I appreciate all the suggestions and I'll see how things go….

SuperJ

Public land can be good. Not sure about WR WMA. It seems to me there is more luck than skill in high pressure public land.

I was in a back, remote part of some public land two years ago. I got two hot and wet walking in. I stayed for about four hours because I was freezing and had to leave. I walked back to the truck, and when I could see the truck, I jumped a nice buck. He ran across the road and got shot by another hunter.

Had guys come in an hour and a half before sunset at primetime and put their climbing stand on a tree next to mine, less than six yards away. And try to climb the tree.

I've had deer come blowing by me because of hunters pushing them.

So on and so forth.