WMA Squirrel Hunting Advice

bigeyesforsmallgame

I am interested in taking up squirrel hunting on public land in East Tennessee. I have a decent amount of experience hunting ducks, pheasants, doves, and squirrels but never on public land. I have looked into Forks of the River, Foothills, Chuck Swan, and Big South Fork WMAs. However, the idea of hunting on public land is completely unknown and strange to me. Is it really as simple as parking and walking off into the woods with my shotgun? Any and all advice is welcome.

Union Co. Boy

I've always done well at Chuck Swan. Drive around until you see a good looking stand of hardwoods to your liking and start there. Generally plenty of action. I walk until I find them and move on to the next group until I have my limit or my fill. Some of my favorite spots are gone now due to heavy logging activity, but there are plenty more.

TheLBLman

Also, try to avoid the archery deer hunters, as being in close proximity to each other can not only lead to unwanted conflicts between you and them, but can also be a dangerous situation for all.

Think about shooting up into trees at squirrels, not seeing the guy high on a deer stand a few trees over from where you're shooting. I'm almost been shot by squirrel hunters while I was archery deer hunting, as well as almost accidentally shot deer archery deer hunters while I was squirrel hunting.

Best way to avoid this is don't go into the woods wherever it appears someone else has ahead of you.

You should be able to find plenty of places to park, not need to go far, and be unlikely to see another hunter.

Safari Hunt

First, stand under a tree and act like a nut. If you are hunting rabbits, hide behind a tree and make a noise like a carrot. OK, seriously. First read the rules for whatever WMA you are hunting. My spot has part of it closed during waterfowl season. Another area in Rhea County requires steel shot for small game. I used a .22 when I lived in KY but that was in the boonies on private land. As mentioned, look for bow hunters and stands. Binoculars would be good as parked cars would be indicative of hunters. Took a ride up to Reliance power house last week. Saw a few cars parked along the road, assuming they were bow hunters for the Cherokee hunt. Shotgun is good. FWIW, I loaded 1-1/8 oz. of #5 or #6 in a light skeet load. Didn't need anything bigger. Good and safe hunting!

Harold Money jr

Chuck Swan is the one I'd recommend the most due to there being draw only hunts on a few specific dates. Don't go there at all during the hunt weekends and wear it out on the off weeks and weekends.

Attachments

• 7CD95A7F-7AC9-4FB9-8E20-30BE69C19211.png
    7CD95A7F-7AC9-4FB9-8E20-30BE69C19211.png
    65 KB · Views: 63

Chickencoop96

I am interested in taking up squirrel hunting on public land in East Tennessee. I have a decent amount of experience hunting ducks, pheasants, doves, and squirrels but never on public land. I have looked into Forks of the River, Foothills, Chuck Swan, and Big South Fork WMAs. However, the idea of hunting on public land is completely unknown and strange to me. Is it really as simple as parking and walking off into the woods with my shotgun? Any and all advice is welcome.
I always hunt squirrels with a 22. (personal preference) but typically just walk in and start somewhere either halfway up a ridge or directly on top. sit for about 20 minutes at a time move along the ridge a little ways then sitting for another 20- 30 minutes. I'll repeat this until I get my limit, or have walked as far as I want to. A lot of the time it don't take em' long to get curious of you and come within range. shoot one then move. shoot another etc. it really helps when they start barking at you when trying to locate em.

timberjack86

Answer to your question is yes it's really that simple. I don't have experience on those wmas you listed but South Cherokee is full of squirrels and there's plenty of forest service roads that are locked that you can walk down. Another thing is they have different deer hunts than the statewide season so it will be alot easier to have the woods to yourself. Kill all you want, there's plenty!

Latest posts