dvining1992

hey my names Dallas pretty new to the area i moved to knoxville recently i'm gonna be officially settled in the week of christmas! gonna try my hand at some hunting at cherokee and another wma around there! what are you guys seeing action on around there funnels? bottoms? not looking for your spot at all just kinda getting a idea what i'm stepping into! i'm from west alabama never really hunting mountains before all we have back home is pine thickets everywhere 🤣

dvining1992

Never hunted in those areas, several places north of you and also some tva land around you.
Welcome to the family
i seen the tva land on onx i googled a lot trying to find the regulations on them! could you pm me and fill me in on if it's bow or gun hunt? main thing i'm trying to do is be legal!

dvining1992

Never hunted in those areas, several places north of you and also some tva land around you.
Welcome to the family
i seen the tva land on onx i googled a lot trying to find the regulations on them! could you pm me and fill me in on if it's bow or gun hunt? main thing i'm trying to do is be legal

TNGRIZZLY_

2-Step Enabled
I don't hunt tva, I just knew that they were some in your area. Someone on here will be able to give you the information that you need. Sorry about that.
North Cumberland wma you will need a 4x4 In most area now and big south fork is another good place to check out with great road's.

hey my names Dallas pretty new to the area i moved to knoxville recently i'm gonna be officially settled in the week of christmas! gonna try my hand at some hunting at cherokee and another wma around there! what are you guys seeing action on around there funnels? bottoms? not looking for your spot at all just kinda getting a idea what i'm stepping into! i'm from west alabama never really hunting mountains before all we have back home is pine thickets everywhere 🤣
I am new to the area as well, moved to knox county during the summer. I have been out to North Cumberland WMA several times in Archery and Rifle season. I prescouted with ONx just to find saddles that were away from the roads. I found sign sometimes quite a bit of sign but seeing deer has been another story.
My guess the best way to hunt these "mountain areas" are to stay put watching trails that look heavily used. If you are up a tree then maybe even better.
TWRA has some crops that they plant in some of the fields. Fields are visible from online maps, just have to check if they are active or fallow.
Did see some bear sign but I believe that hunt is closed now in North Cumberland WMA.
I plan on doing some real scouting in the summer and try to learn more about the area.

dvining1992

I am new to the area as well, moved to knox county during the summer. I have been out to North Cumberland WMA several times in Archery and Rifle season. I prescouted with ONx just to find saddles that were away from the roads. I found sign sometimes quite a bit of sign but seeing deer has been another story.
My guess the best way to hunt these "mountain areas" are to stay put watching trails that look heavily used. If you are up a tree then maybe even better.
TWRA has some crops that they plant in some of the fields. Fields are visible from online maps, just have to check if they are active or fallow.
Did see some bear sign but I believe that hunt is closed now in North Cumberland WMA.
I plan on doing some real scouting in the summer and try to learn more about the area.
i appreciate the information! if you ever wanna meet up and scout some after season it would be nice to have some buddies in the area!

dvining1992

I don't hunt tva, I just knew that they were some in your area. Someone on here will be able to give you the information that you need. Sorry about that.
North Cumberland wma you will need a 4x4 In most area now and big south fork is another good place to check out with great road's.
i'm gonna looking into them! i have a good hunting truck! i appreciate the help man!!

dvining1992

Buy some warm clothes cause your gonna need it. By Friday up in the mountains will be in the teens for high temps with wind chills I don't want to even think about. Good luck
i seen that! i got some warm clothes deff gonna be putting these insulated boots to the test that's reall the only thing that bothers me! once my toes get cold i start having a rough day!

i seen that! i got some warm clothes deff gonna be putting these insulated boots to the test that's reall the only thing that bothers me! once my toes get cold i start having a rough day!
1st and 2nd weekend of rifle it was pretty cold where I hunted. Low to mid 20s getting to my spot. Definitely recommend insulated boots. High wool content socks something around 80% merino would be good. The disposable hand warmers are great.
One of those balaclava or whatever its called to cover your face is nice

AppalachiaVol

Lots of land around if your willing to do some driving 1-2 hours or so. Depends what your after. Catoosa has good deer hunting but lots of pressure. Cherokee has Boar/Bear but your gonna work for it without dogs. foothills WMA has some areas. good squirrel hunts all over. Some great fishing around if your into that

dvining1992

Lots of land around if your willing to do some driving 1-2 hours or so. Depends what your after. Catoosa has good deer hunting but lots of pressure. Cherokee has Boar/Bear but your gonna work for it without dogs. foothills WMA has some areas. good squirrel hunts all over. Some great fishing around if your into that
i do alot of fishing in the spring and summer til hunting season starts kicks off! and i don't mind driving the closest wma to my place in alabama was a hour and 30 then a little longer down all the dirt roads!

SES

Buy some warm clothes cause your gonna need it. By Friday up in the mountains will be in the teens for high temps with wind chills I don't want to even think about. Good luck
Went to North Cumberland one day with a buddy of mine years ago. I wasn't going to take my heavy clothes because it wasn't going to be that cold at the house. When we got our four wheelers up to where I usually hunted, there was 8" of snow on the ground and colder than crap. Be prepared in the mountains and always and I mean always have at least 2 working lighters with you to start a fire, just in case.

dvining1992

Went to North Cumberland one day with a buddy of mine years ago. I wasn't going to take my heavy clothes because it wasn't going to be that cold at the house. When we got our four wheelers up to where I usually hunted, there was 8" of snow on the ground and colder than crap. Be prepared in the mountains and always and I mean always have at least 2 working lighters with you to start a fire, just in case.
i will do that man! i know it's gonna be super cold but maybe that will work in my favor! i'm willing to sit and do the work!

lawdog

Great advice!

Latest posts