With all these shootings..

R

Rabbitkil

Who all has first aide on them / with them? Over the last year or so I’ve been trying to be better prepared so figured I would see if someone has something I haven’t thought of

God forbid someone had to defend themselves/ someone else if you carry a gun you should have some first aid..

So let’s here it, what do you carry? Where do you like ordering from?

R

recurve60#

Im a retired Paramedic, so I still carry everything I did then in my jump kit. I do have tourniquets, but there are three procedures I'll go through before I'll resort to that. After 31 yrs on the street I never had to resort to that...fortunately.

Last edited:
P

poorhunter

Yeah, it’s something that we should all think about. I have a paramedic friend that makes and sells these kits, and my conceal carry holster actually has an attachment for a tourniquet in place of a spare mag.

R

Rabbitkil

I almost always have tourniquet, 2 chest seals , compressed gauze and a pressure dressing with me… still adding stuff to medical kit that I keep in my pov and work vehicle

backyardtndeer

backyardtndeer

Good advice. Think I will put together a kit to keep in the truck and one for the wife to keep in the car.

R

recurve60#

Im a KISS method guy and with my experience this is what I carry. Basic airway and can pretty much handle any traume for a single patient. Tried to get a pic where you can see the details. Any lay person can buy this stuff.
20220529 131528

T

TraumaSlave

When I took scouts down to the Keys, we had to have a 1st aide kit with us. I dropped a bit on putting together what I wanted, not BSA guidelines. I can handle any trauma for 1 or 2 people. You can never save the world so, triage is more important than what tools you have to fix broke.

T

TraumaSlave

I have rarely seen anyone carry it but when I do they say it’s for burns, I’ve always carried hydrogel bandages for burns myself
1st aide is just that, 1st. Many years as an ER RN have taught me that definitive care does what matters. Pack and go. A burn won't be saved in the field with a special bandage. Wrap to protect and ship. Lacerations require closure. Wrap and go. Now, i do have a staple gun in my pack. Penetrating chest wounds require the immediate attention with an occlusive dressing. Then decompression. Most think about the dressing but, without a needle to decompress, the tension will kill. As said, tourniquets are a big seller but, last resort. All the cool stuff in the world can't do a bit of good without the knowledge to use.

R

Rabbitkil

1st aide is just that, 1st. Many years as an ER RN have taught me that definitive care does what matters. Pack and go. A burn won't be saved in the field with a special bandage. Wrap to protect and ship. Lacerations require closure. Wrap and go. Now, i do have a staple gun in my pack. Penetrating chest wounds require the immediate attention with an occlusive dressing. Then decompression. Most think about the dressing but, without a needle to decompress, the tension will kill. As said, tourniquets are a big seller but, last resort. All the cool stuff in the world can't do a bit of good without the knowledge to use.
My training ends at TCCC … wouldn’t mind getting trained with the decompression needle but haven’t yet so for now I’ll stick to the vented chest seals and hope ems gets there quick enough

Omega

Omega

I keep a Individual First Aid Kit (IFAK) within reach at all times, I have one in my truck, in my hunt pack, range box and even in the boat. It has everything you need for immediate first aid for many wounds seen on the battlefield, so should be just fine for most things I come across here at home. It is not a mass casualty kit though, and would hope there would be many other kits available in that case, and would hope I could remember my training after all these years.

R

recurve60#

Ive rifled a few chests. Stop the heat with burns. Dont put anything on it, just dress it. And yes the word tourniquet is like saying creedmore. Sounds cool i guess.