Wireless Router Upgrade?

B

BULL MOOSE

I think it may be time for a new router. Some of you guys know your stuff, so I figured I would get some suggestions.

I currently have active:
a Netgear N750 dual band model WNDR4300
Linksys wall plugin extender
Motorola modem from charter
Charter cable fast internet

The internet seems to drop constantly and we just wait on it or unplug and reset the modem and router. Charter says all is fine with their equipment (not sure I always believe them though for various reasons over the years).

Here is what we have connected!

2 rokus
1 amazon stick
2 iPad airs
2 iPhone 6's
1 iPhone 5
2 Lenovo tab 2's
An hp printer

We are retiring the lenovos and adding 3 more 2015 model iPad airs at Christmas (traded a shotgun for them in the tndee room classifieds)

It blows my mind because we only had a couple of wireless laptops connected till about 2012! The whole family is online and it is not going anywhere unless N Korea or the jhihads take out all the electronic equipment.

Coker

Coker

I assume you have Charter and they don't provide the equipment. Correct?
If so, what internet speed do you have? Also, where is your router located in your house?
With any wireless connection, your primary issues will be your router capability, your internet speed, interference with in the house (ex. Microwaves, brick/block, distance.....), and the amount of users at one time ( this can be somewhat corrected with higher internet speed/more bandwidth.)
With that being said, a premium wireless, gigabit, dual band router will fit the need. Netgear, TP Link, Zyxel are all good manufactures.

mr.big

mr.big

we have fiber optic cable internet and we have added so many devices our stuff wasnt working ,running slow and all that jazz when everybody was home and online all at once,

just today we got a new D-Link EXO AC2600 and it is in another world from what we had,,but my 14 year old son bought it and I dont know crap about them and there is probably better but it is really working a crap load better than it was,,

our internet package is supposed to be 30mbps and I run a test on it while ago after getting the new router hooked up and it tested at 34mbps on my Chromebook and 36 on JW`s laptop,,

jlanecr500

jlanecr500

Supporter
You might need an upgrade but I would confirm the router the issue first. I would disconnect the router and connect a computer directly to the modem. If it works well over a period of time, consider the provider equipment and service OK. Otherwise, they do have a problem. Until you eliminate your router, etc, they can tell yo anything and you can't refute it.

DaveB

DaveB

Okay, in 2011 I upgraded my system from original gigabit-class components to (at the time) state of the art. Turned in my comcast router saved 7 bucks a month. This is important, keep it in short term memory.

Inbound from repeater I upgraded to an AARRIS sB6141 modem. Has never failed. 100% comcast compatible.

From the modem to an Asus RT-N66W dual band Wireless N900 gigabit router.

From the router I have too many devices to go direct hard wire so I acquired 4 8-port gigabit unmanaged desktop switches. The great thing here is each port auto-negotiates the transmission rates. If you hook up a 10 mbs device, that port negotiates down to the speed of the device and all the other ports are unchanged.

We have two game systems, 7 desktop/laptop PC's, 5 smart phones, three ipad/Fire pads, and a security system. Most are hard wire connected. All can WIFI if they want or have to. I am paying for and getting the 75MBS option from comcast, I check it at least weekly.

The AARIS router was totally effortless. Literally, plug and play. It auto-configured everything. I went in to make some very minor tweaks to take advantage of the 75 MBS speed and found the router had already done so. Very extremely highly recommended.

And now, your short term memory unload. The money saved on the router has paid for all the upgrade components.

Note: I purchased every last piece from Newegg.com. I have been a Newegg client since they were EggHead brick & mortar stores. Be cool and deliberate in your component acquisition and you can save a fair piece of coin.

WTM

WTM

Supporter
like the dude above said, plug directly to the ethernet port on the modem. if it doesnt have a link or sync light lit green then that either means the modem is flaky or a bad connection between the modem and the isp or the isp equipment is down. you can also go into the modem page and look at troubleshooting. if it has high CV errors and UAS counts that usually means outside plant facility trouble.

after that you can look at the router page and see if it gives a clue to the trouble. if it clears by resetting then the router may be flaky.

BUT, before you buy a new modem or router check the firmware page for both and update it. most people never do this and a simple firmware update can sometimes fix buggy devices.

lightsareout

lightsareout

lots of variables, but I would get a Netgear AC1900 or AC2300; you may not need the extender with these models.

B

BULL MOOSE

I moved my extender to another outlet and have not had problems since. Thanks for all the responses

medic

medic

I had the same problems with WIFI at home. I changed out the router for the NetGear Nighthawk x4 AC2350 and it works great. I used to use a extender to reach up stairs and no longer need it. My internet speed with Charter is 60 mb and this router is pegging the speed test at 61 mb with several items going at the same time.