Winter Trout Stocking

B.D.

7mm08 said:
Well, you/TWRA might want to rethink this trout stamp=food stamp practice when this happens:

Here's the thing, 7mm:

1. Because of the winter trout program, TWRA sells trout permits that it otherwise wouldn't sell. In other words, it generates additional revenue for the agency.

2. In addition, a lot of the people fishing winter trout wouldn't be fishing this time of year if it wasn't for the stocking program - they'd go do something else. When they go buy the powerbait, trout magnets, etc. to go trout fishing, it generates some economic activity for tackle sellers and bait shops at a time of year when the "fair weather" fishermen would otherwise not be wetting a line.

3. The number of trout stocked in the winter trout program is a very small fraction of the number stocked into the tailwaters. The trout put in the Caney Fork alone vastly outnumber what goes into winter trout.

So, overall: Is it "easy" fishing? Yeah. But it also generates a return on investment.

bd

7mm08

BD.
I don't care about the winter stocking. Fine. Stock. However, why give out the dates? The trout stand a better chance anyway in the winter than a warm water stocking. IF the TWRA would stock and not give out a date, there would be MORE days of winter fishing other than the one or two days to wipe out the stream from a known dump date....so with your theory, more fising days, more powerbait, more trout magnets, or trout whatevers to be sold to catch the limited but now spread out trout in the stream except in a concentrated pool.

If you want to make it real easy, throw them in a backyard pool for all I care and sell raffle tickets if you want to make it easy. It's a total waste of resources to raise them only to be caught out in 48-72 hours. It's like high fence hunting that 99% of the folks on here rail against. If it's easy folks want, go to a trout farm and stand around the pond, catch your fish, pay, but not on my trout stamp dollar.

spottedbass

You haven't fished any of the winter stocked areas have you? I catch trout for weeks after a stocking where I fish for them. I catch them up until they stock again. It's a great time to take my kids on a decent weather day in the winter to catch some fish. I love getting them outside and out from in front of the computer and video games.

Not to mention we also enjoy eating trout.

catman529

spottedbass said:
You haven't fishing any of the winter stocked areas have you? I catch trout for weeks after a stocking where I fish for them. I catch them up until they stock again. It's a great time to take my kids on a decent weather day in the winter to catch some fish. I love getting them outside and out from in front of the computer and video games.

Not to mention we also enjoy eating trout.
ditto. They go at least several miles downstream and I've seen them into the spring before and heard of them surviving the summer near cold water springs. They don't get simply wiped out when they are stocked. Within a day or 2 of stocking, they start to move downstream and you have to look to find a pocket that holds a few of them.

B.D.

7mm08 said:
BD.
I don't care about the winter stocking. Fine. Stock. However, why give out the dates?

Because it increases the popularity of the program (which is important because one of the big intended purposes is to spur increased trout permit sales).

And you're wrong about all the fish getting caught out in 72 hours.

That said, I'd like to see them try delayed harvest in a few places because I think they could get even more out of the program.

bd

livestock02

I started fishing the stockers last year and it has led me to the Caney for several trips. I really enjoy it and it gives me an opportunity to fish for trout closer to home, when I don't have time to make the drive to the Caney.

Latest posts