Wind wind and more wind

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
It wore me out yesterday but managed a few.
I had myself talked out of going today because it's gonna be worse today.
Only difference is it is coming out of the south today instead of SE.
I need the tug that is my drug and I won't get it on the couch.

Need to get a partner just to put out and pick up the anchor. Lol

mike243

You need a few things for your boat , them poles and a fancy trolling motor with the gps and remote control to lock you in a spot, No fancy bass boat needed, how many times you going to get a chance in another life to enjoy nice toys lol

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
You need a few things for your boat , them poles and a fancy trolling motor with the gps and remote control to lock you in a spot, No fancy bass boat needed, how many times you going to get a chance in another life to enjoy nice toys lol
That would be nice for sure!

FLTENNHUNTER1

I used to hate the wind but recently became a fan. Last couple times out once the wind really kicked in it turned on the bite like a light switch. Not sure why but certainly did.

The pollen looked like smoke coming from the trees. I'm sure I was the only bass fisher out there wearing a N95 mask. People probably thought I was a dumbass Democrat

7mm08

Anywhere from 5 to 12 feet
Ok , so they make 8 & 10 ft mud poles. Usually they are fiberglass the better ones are aluminum ( but costly). Tie a rope to one end , jam it into the mud and attach to your boat. I used this method prior to the Ulterra and PowerPole on my present boat

1650754392443.png

Last edited:

TNReb

We fished a tournament on Beaver Lake (Arkansas) the last two days. It blew about a constant 30mph both days. The wind swirled through the hills and there was nowhere to get out of it. It about beat us to death!

moondawg

I went fishing in my kayak at Edmund Orgill this morning. At first it wasn't bad early in the morning. But as the morning progressed, it got worse. Padding to the boat ramp was a workout.

Crow Terminator

Spotlock is great in wind/current BUT it does position the boat to where it is facing into it. You have to take that into consideration and plan accordingly. Using your post about being upwind from the crappie and catching them...if you had spotlock you would have had to either spotlock down wind of them and try throwing into the wind from the front of the boat...or spotlock upwind from them, and just fish from the back of the boat instead of the front. It will always spin you around to where the bow is facing into the wind or current. It's by far the best upgrade I have put on the boat. It will expose bad or weak batteries though. Having the trolling motor constantly on and using variable speeds to maintain position, apparently draws a lot of amps. My boat is a 2021 and came with Interstate group 27 deep cycle batteries. I've already had to replace one of them; trolling motor would die after just 2-3 hrs. One of the batteries was dropping down to 9.3 volts.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok , so they make 8 & 10 ft mud poles. Usually they are fiberglass the better ones are aluminum ( but costly). Tie a rope to one end , jam it into the mud and attach to your boat. I used this method prior to the Ulterra and PowerPole on my present boat

View attachment 135231
Yeah @scn sent me a link to one of those last week.
Might get me one this year.

Hduke86

Spotlock is great in wind/current BUT it does position the boat to where it is facing into it. You have to take that into consideration and plan accordingly. Using your post about being upwind from the crappie and catching them...if you had spotlock you would have had to either spotlock down wind of them and try throwing into the wind from the front of the boat...or spotlock upwind from them, and just fish from the back of the boat instead of the front. It will always spin you around to where the bow is facing into the wind or current. It's by far the best upgrade I have put on the boat. It will expose bad or weak batteries though. Having the trolling motor constantly on and using variable speeds to maintain position, apparently draws a lot of amps. My boat is a 2021 and came with Interstate group 27 deep cycle batteries. I've already had to replace one of them; trolling motor would die after just 2-3 hrs. One of the batteries was dropping down to 9.3 volts.
It sure will expose a weak battery that's for sure. I finally bit the bullet a few weeks ago and said the heck with it and got a 24v 100ah lithium lifepo4 battery dedicated just for my Ulterra ipilot link. Was it painful to hit the "purchase" button? Sure was but I have went from two heavy batteries and the extra wiring down to one battery that literally last for multiple days without needing a charge and it weighs roughly 38#-40#.
Pros- one battery that lasts multiple days and recharges insanely fast and weighs hardly anything compared to agm or flooded acid batteries.

Cons- expensive for sure, have to get a dedicated 24v charger, and will only work for 24v equipment which is only the trolling motor.

Latest posts