Winchester rifles vs Others

eastTN270

My brother in law is looking for a new rifle and was looking at Tikka and Remington. It just got me to thinking that you hardly ever hear anyone talk about Winchester rifles. When I first started deer hunting a mentor ran across a Winchester model 70 in 270 and suggested I buy it. I did and it has been a great rifle. So much so that I later ran across a model 70 featherweight in 308 and bought it. I've never shot a Tikka or Remington, but just wondered why you don't hear about people shooting Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

REN

eastTN270":jtd5r20y said:
My brother in law is looking for a new rifle and was looking at Tikka and Remington. It just got me to thinking that you hardly ever hear anyone talk about Winchester rifles. When I first started deer hunting a mentor ran across a Winchester model 70 in 270 and suggested I buy it. I did and it has been a great rifle. So much so that I later ran across a model 70 featherweight in 308 and bought it. I've never shot a Tikka or Remington, but just wondered why you don't hear about people shooting Winchester.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mostly because they have not come out with a new rifle type till recently and kept the Model 70 build forever. the others you mentioned has come out with new rifles and models and marketed more to the general public.

Urban_Hunter

Plenty of people shoot Winchester, especially the model 70. The rifle, much like the marlin's, evolved many times over the years, and since the 60's most of the evolutions involved cutting costs to compete with the 700. The end product is much like the end product of the 700, the best ones are the older ones. The $300 academy and wal-Mart models show almost no similarity to the models from previous decades, and unless you spend the $$$ for one from the custom or classic shop you are not getting a "real" model 70, and most will argue that a "real" one hasn't been in production for as long as I've been alive or better.

DaveB

The demise of the push feed/controlled feed extractor ran a lot of people away. The higher priced rifles offered nothing in exchange for the price except the name Winchester.

The latest offerings from nearly every major manufacturer offer a very high degree of accuracy at prices you would not have thought possible.

I can tell you My Winchester Model 70 in 300 WinMag is not accurate and under no circumstances would I ever buy another Winchester product.

280longshot

The Winchester M70 super grade is what comes to mind when I look at Winchester rifles, not sure but that's the only one I would buy new but the price tag is why I haven't bought one.

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
DaveB":8humg4td said:
The demise of the push feed/controlled feed extractor ran a lot of people away. The higher priced rifles offered nothing in exchange for the price except the name Winchester.

The latest offerings from nearly every major manufacturer offer a very high degree of accuracy at prices you would not have thought possible.

I can tell you My Winchester Model 70 in 300 WinMag is not accurate and under no circumstances would I ever buy another Winchester product.
Yours a FN or New Haven produced?

foodplot

i have killed a lot of deer with my ol Winchester..... wouldn't sell it....too many people get hung up on brands,,,,just get you a gun that works and use it!
my gun probably wouldn't shoot 1" groups at 200yds but i don't need it to...i'm' sure it is capable of shooting better than i can shoot... all i need to do is hit the vital on a whitetail...where i hunt 120yds is max so I'm happy with what i have...

Coldfusion

foodplot":1om7noo8 said:
i have killed a lot of deer with my ol Winchester..... wouldn't sell it....too many people get hung up on brands,,,,just get you a gun that works and use it!
my gun probably wouldn't shoot 1" groups at 200yds but i don't need it to...i'm' sure it is capable of shooting better than i can shoot... all i need to do is hit the vital on a whitetail...where i hunt 120yds is max so I'm happy with what i have...
Exactly! Most rifles you buy will out shoot most of us out of the box. A rifles accuracy usually has more to do with the optic and rings than the rifle it's self. Everyone always wants clover leafs on paper at ungodly distance, but unless you shoot competitions you probably don't need that. I have this same argument with people over glock, which I'm a big fan. My point of view is in combat shooting you focus on center mass. If a glock has a half inch larger grouping than your 1911 it's not an issue. I prefer a weapon that I know is reliable and runs dirty all day with any ammo. I feel this way about rifles. If you can afford the top of the line rifles, good for you I'm not knocking them. But for hunting reason, knowing how to hunt is most important. I have buddies with cheap pawn shop rifles with iron sights that kill deer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Talome13

The Model 70 is the greatest hunting rifle ever produced...........until "Portugal" was stamped on the side.

280longshot

I do have two 7x57 featherweights that I carry for woods hunting but am very confident out to 300 yds with them using handloads. They handle well and are a pleasure to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts