Wilson Combat... finally “pulled the trigger”

Kimber45

Kinda been in/out of the 1911's for 20+ yrs. Carried a 1911 for a few years, went back to a Glock for primary carry. Always wanted a nice Wilson Combat but just couldn't put that much $ in a single gun. Anyway, local retired military guy decided to part with one... and now I own it. He has carried it some, so already has some minuscule sharp edge carry wear This one is a Bill Wilson Carry 4" CQB in 45. Loaded a few mags yesterday, some fairly hot 230 grain stuff. I'll have to say I am very impressed that this gun has push-back vs barrel flip, which makes followup shots accuracy quicker to get done. It will take quite a few more rds to get me carrying this thing, but at this point I won't rule it out. Sure shoots better than my other 45's... all of em.
1622736862087.jpeg

44 mag

I have shot a few Wilson's but never able to pull the trigger on one of my own. One day I will find a nice used one in my price range.

Kimber45

Nice piece. The closest I could get to a WC45 are WC grips on my SA Loaded Compact. Which I absolutely love; just not enough capacity IMO for EDC.
I've felt the same as I've gotten older, and with older "eyes" but honestly in most accounts it's probably all about our familiarity with our chosen carry... training, training, training, training... with our chosen carry. I probably won't go back to carrying a 1911, but I believe I would be fine doing so. This particular one absolutely couldn't sit in your hand any better. BW put a lot of thought and time and fitting into these.

Kimber45

I have shot a few Wilson's but never able to pull the trigger on one of my own. One day I will find a nice used one in my price range.
I'm 58... had "hoped" to luck into a moderately decent priced one for decades, to a point I'd quit looking. I've shot a few 5" but never a 4" carry model. Very impressed

Last edited:

FLTENNHUNTER1

I've felt the same as I've gotten older, and with older "eyes" but honestly in most accounts it's probably all about our familiarity with our chosen carry... training, training, training, training... with our chosen carry. I probably won't go back to carrying a 1911, but I believe I would be fine doing so. This particular one absolutely couldn't sit in your hand any better. BW put a lot of thought and time and fitting into these.
I did carry mine for several years. Love Love Love the crisp trigger of a single action trigger. And the gun absolutely hugged my waist and the magazine on the opposite side. You could not see it what-so-ever. And the 8+1 Chip McCormick mags are probably all a man would need in a bad situation, but I feel SO much better carrying 15+1 M&P40 in 3 o'clock position and 2 15 round mags carried in the 9 o'clock position. If someone with an AR starts winging rounds at least I can return 16 rounds instinctively in a matter of seconds. Not saying I would win against an AR or AK, but someone would be eating a lot of lead before I bled out.