Wild West Marlin Trigger Review

Hunter 257W

I just installed a Wild West Trigger in my Marlin 336 yesterday. For some reason my 336 had a terrible trigger when i got it used a few years ago. Several of the screw heads had been boogered up so I knew it had been apart probably due to the trigger. Maybe the bad trigger was even a RESULT of it having been torn into by some amateur gunsmith even. :D Whatever the cause, my rifle had a trigger pull from 8 1/2 lbs to way off the scale of my RCBS Trigger Pull Gauge. I worked with it changing out the main spring 1st which got a lighter pull but started a whole series of misfires. I tried various tricks such as using a thin washer on the end of the light spring to hopefully get something between factory original and the aftermarket trigger pull, and eliminate the misfires. The only way I could get reliable ignition was to go back with the factory main spring. So being forced to use the factory spring, I did some sear honing and got the pull down to about 6 1/2 lbs. Definitely better but still leaving a lot to be desired. I finally decided it was time to get another trigger.

I found the Wild West trigger for Marlins on the Brownells website and the reviews were good, it was still priced at Black Friday prices so I ordered it. It was a simple drop in installation. At 1st there was a bit of dragging or something that didn't feel quite right going into the "Full chocolate chip cookie" position but I didn't have the rifle totally assembled at that point and the screws were just finger tight. Once I got it all put together and tightened down the rifle functioned just like it was all factory parts. Except for one difference that is. I now have a pull weight of 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. I'm well pleased! This 35 Remington is finally what I envisioned when I decided to get a more traditional deer rifle a few years ago. While this pull weight is still too heavy to shoot the very best groups with a target rifle, it's very acceptable for a hunting rifle.

Hunter 257W

I think you'll like it. It seems that most people are getting pulls more like 2 1/2 to 3 lbs which I consider about perfect for hunting. Any lighter gets a bit touchy. I have a 1 1/2 lb Shilen trigger on my Remington 700 in 25-06 and you HAVE to hunt with no gloves due to such a light pull.

LanceS4803

I have several Wild West products for my Guide Gun. Been toying around with the idea of now getting the trigger.
Thanks for the review.

Latest posts