• Help Support TNDeer:

Wild ride

Zulu

I'm a baby when it comes to chine walking, or really any kind of rocking once it gets up on plane. I think I'd have backed off at about the 12 second point, 16 second for sure.

ADR

Lots of tournament boaters will run the bank like that trying to avoid the main chop and to try to pass other boats.
I could be completely wrong but I would assume from this short video that he wasn’t avoiding the main line of chop and more likely trying to pass a few boaters.

sll

Does anyone know what happened here? Why the hard left? Possibly that his hydraulic steering blew....
Was running parallel to boat wakes at high speed and trimmed high. When he go to the narrow spot where the accident happened he was catching waves off both sides of the boat due to being closer to the bank and earlier waves coming from the other direction. He never decided to let up, turned into the higher cresting wave on the right, motor lower unit lost bite and nose of boat dipped hard and caused it to bow hook. What I think happened anyway. I don't know if you listened to the video with the sound on but the motor never shut down therefor he wasn't wearing his kill switch. The idiot went on to fish that day and weighed in a few dinks......boat was totalled.

larry ipock

Back when I had my Stratos, got it up to 63 mph on calm water one time. It started chine walking, after that, just cruised at 35-40 mph, that's plenty. No need for that kind of speed. The guy don't know how lucky he really was.

TNReb

Supporter
Those with high powered boats will understand this. When you have a large horse power motor on a boat planed out "on pad" only the foot of the motor and probably less than 3 feet of pad are actually in contact with the water. During a tournament blast off the water is choppy and rough as hell. The blast off is a butt puckering event. Lots of tournament boaters will run the bank like that trying to avoid the main chop and to try to pass other boats.
My most butt puckering moment was 2 years ago in a club tournament on Cordell Hull. We waited for the fog to lift, and blasted off. We rounded a bend and hit a wall of fog. Couldn't even see 20 yards. I came off of it, because I had zero clue what was in front of me, and just prayed nobody hit me from behind. Some guys just blew right through it.

sll

My most butt puckering moment was 2 years ago in a club tournament on Cordell Hull. We waited for the fog to lift, and blasted off. We rounded a bend and hit a wall of fog. Couldn't even see 20 yards. I came off of it, because I had zero clue what was in front of me, and just prayed nobody hit me from behind. Some guys just blew right through it.
Yea, those guys that run fast through fog like that are trusting their Navi/GPS system. They don't even think to worry that those do not show other boats and floating debris.

TNReb

Supporter
Found this. His response to people's comments after the video was posted... what an idgit.

abritt.png

sll

Did he fish the tourney in that boat? My first thought was he needs to be getting to a bank somewhere before that sucker sinks
Never heard if he fished in that boat the rest of the day or a different one......he did borrow another one for the rest of the tourney. I don't know how anyone could go on with their day after that anyway.

That is a Ranger.....Ranger says their boats are unsinkable. I know better than that as I saw one go down on Lake Russel about 20 years ago.

TAFKAP

I could be completely wrong but I would assume from this short video that he wasn’t avoiding the main line of chop and more likely trying to pass a few boaters.

That water looked smooth as glass where the other two guys were. Even their wakes were smooth little swells. Homeboy just got some air up under the bow and about ate it. Lucky it wasn't a submerged stump or some other hazard.

Latest posts