Why I can't fish for bass

Headhunter

I have caught largemouth in many different places, pulled them out of bushes, treetops, (anything feels tough pulling out of cover), caught bass up to 8 lbs out lily pads and weeds, etc. caught largemouth in current and out of current. None of them compare to a hybrid or a striper. Not even close.

A smallmouth can for sure put up a fight and pull.

And when I get a chance, I will go catch some saltwater fish, from everyone I know, hybrids and stripers are not in the ballpark with them.

Even guys that fish that are Bassmaster Elite fishermen, top level pros will tell you the exact same thing. I know, I have asked them personally. I will see some of them this weekend, I will ask them again.

Spurhunter

I have caught largemouth in many different places, pulled them out of bushes, treetops, (anything feels tough pulling out of cover), caught bass up to 8 lbs out lily pads and weeds, etc. caught largemouth in current and out of current. None of them compare to a hybrid or a striper. Not even close.

A smallmouth can for sure put up a fight and pull.

And when I get a chance, I will go catch some saltwater fish, from everyone I know, hybrids and stripers are not in the ballpark with them.

Even guys that fish that are Bassmaster Elite fishermen, top level pros will tell you the exact same thing. I know, I have asked them personally. I will see some of them this weekend, I will ask them again.
You are changing the discussion now. I never said LMB compare to a hybrid or striper. I was responding to you saying that LMB are "truly a non factor in being a "fighting" fish." I wonder why bass fishing is so popular? Makes you wonder.

Headhunter

Until I caught fish stipers and hybrids, I had the exact same thoughts as you do. After I started catching hybrids and stripers, bass do not even compare in fight to them. Do I still enjoy catching bass, yep, love it. Is the fight from a bass much less IMO now? Yep MUCH LESS. , I can remember when I would have carried a 5 lb bass around on ice til it spoiled to show it off, now a 5 lb bass does not even get much of a rise from me anymore. I Iove fishing for and catching bass, but a 3 lb hybrid will equal a 5 lb bass in fight. IMO, I guess the best thing bass have going is when they jump. Hybrids will jump if you can put enough pressure on them, but that is not often. Smallmouths are king to me when it comes to jumping though.

gladesman60

Sorry you took it as talking "ish".

BTW, The guy who runs Nick's old Freeman is someone I grew up fishing with on Pine Island Sound. His name is Chase. We were quite close for a while until he did some shady stuff and was run out of the SWFL fishing scene.

We all have things that we like/dislike. I tend to prefer clear moving water where the bite is visual and the fish test your tackle. The sound of a screaming drag is something I miss but it doesn't mean I don't like seeing the pictures of everyone's TN trophies.
Nothin like wading the bar at Burnt store catching snook reds and trout on every cast. I bought a boat last year. Fished Tims, Woods and Normady for bass.. Nothing worse than fishing for hours and catching nothing. Its a whole different ball game up here . Finally figured em out some. looking forward to learning more this year.But i dont expect to ever match the numbers we caught in the Glades. 100 bass mornings were not unusual.

FLTENNHUNTER1

I have caught many large salt water fish. I tell you what, I get as much of a thrill catching a 1.5 to 2 pound bluegill on ultralight equipment as any other fish. And bang for the buck (I have not caught a smallmouth yet, headed to Watts Bar soon) a spotted bass is a pullin' sumbeech (and can be a real aggressive strike especially on top water lures). I caught a 5 pounder last year I thought was a 10 pound LMB.

Pilchard

Nothin like wading the bar at Burnt store catching snook reds and trout on every cast. I bought a boat last year. Fished Tims, Woods and Normady for bass.. Nothing worse than fishing for hours and catching nothing. Its a whole different ball game up here . Finally figured em out some. looking forward to learning more this year.But i dont expect to ever match the numbers we caught in the Glades. 100 bass mornings were not unusual.
I don't know if you can still do it but I remember being 10 or 11 years older and getting dropped off at one of the roads in Cape Coral off of Burnt Store road. It was as far west as you could drive. I'd bushwhack my way through the mangroves all the way out to Charlotte Harbor and fish the bar. Caught many good fish and got eaten alive by skeeters on many occasions.

I also remember my mother freaking out on me when she came back to get me and I was holding a piglet that I had caught in the mangrove swamp on the way out to the bay.

jlanecr500

I grew up creek fishing on family property. My grandfather had 50 acres on the clinch River and he liked to fish it and run Trott lines in the 60's and 70's but I never got into it. A few years ago, I got into lead core striper trolling with Musky lures in summer and fall on Norris. Occasionally we will pull 3 lines before things get going real heavy in the fall. But once things pick up, it's a bad idea. Having a double is enough to deal with much less 3. One time last season, I was forced to leave one rod in the holder with a fish on so the we could reel the other 2 in. Luckily it was still on there. They put up a fight that intensifies when the water cools in October. Its definitely a different style of fishing. I also enjoy fishing for white bass when they spawn like right now and walleye is getting ready to fire up. I'm not a big lm or sm bass fisherman. We typically eat what we catch. Just because it doesn't turn my crank doesn't mean that I look down on those who do.
It's easy to get offended when someone throws shade on your action but in reality, I'm glad there aren't more people wrestling striper on Norris. It keeps things less complicated.

moondawg

Not an attack on you or the great people of TN, Spurhunter. Sorry you took it personally. I miss fishing, I don't miss Florida. I love TN and all that it has to offer, even the backwoods hicks. I am a hillbilly from WV after all.

The point of my post is that I don't understand what all the rage is about. I realize I'm the weird one. Bass are the most popular game fish in the US…. Although I'd argue that's only because tarpon don't swim in all 50 states😀
And Redfish. And Snook. And Crevalle Jack.

gladesman60

I don't know if you can still do it but I remember being 10 or 11 years older and getting dropped off at one of the roads in Cape Coral off of Burnt Store road. It was as far west as you could drive. I'd bushwhack my way through the mangroves all the way out to Charlotte Harbor and fish the bar. Caught many good fish and got eaten alive by skeeters on many occasions.

I also remember my mother freaking out on me when she came back to get me and I was holding a piglet that I had caught in the mangrove swamp on the way out to the bay.
I dont believe you can acess the bar that way any more. I fished that area with my buddy who was a Cape Coral fireman. The fishing was fantastic. I have heard now that it is non stop boat traffic and the fishing not what it once was. Pretty much like everything else in Florida.

Latest posts