Why are WMA only open tue,Thur,and Saturday?

lbh

I don't think it's about over pressuring because you can still go on the property and scout or I've seen people ride horses,walking there dogs. My issue with this is 1st if you work your limited to just evening hunting or Saturday and the hunters have to buy the type 94 permit but the average joe gets to access the property for free and for more days the math doesn't add up to me maybe I could understand if it wasn't archery only

FTP

I'll tell you the bigger issue, public land and limited access. They won't listen to the hunters and people who want to use public land. Not all of us have the luck of being able to hunt private property, open these WMAs up and stop the tyranny!

Walker817

I've been hunting those wma in Hixson for 10 to 15 years. I'm telling you, if they were open 7 days a week during season, there would be no deer to hunt. It would definitely be way over hunted. Some all ready are.

FTP

I've been hunting those wma in Hixson for 10 to 15 years. I'm telling you, if they were open 7 days a week during season, there would be no deer to hunt. It would definitely be way over hunted. Some all ready are.
Not the case with Cheatham Walker817
Since the Blue Tongue outbreak in 2007 this place has become a ghost town, people on this thread have gotten their panties ruffled by my comments, but I've hunted this WMA since 1994, and it is by far not overused, not in the least bit.
just wish the TWRA would allow the public to use public land like it should be.

FTP

One Saturday morning just a week or 2 ago, one of those Hixson tracts had 9 vehicles in the parking lot. If they were open every day of the week the tracts in Hixson would be decimated. Those tracts are not that big.
Cheatham is 22k acres
You could get lost and never heard from again looking for another hunter on the Cheatham WMA.

Granddaddy

I was wondering why the wma's in Hixson are only open to hunting those 3 days a week
Can't speak specifically about Hixon but most any public waterfowl areas need to be limited access to maintain any consistent opportunities for success. With as much waterfowl habitant as there is compared to waterfowl numbers, the ducks & geese will just move if pressured too much. I'd suggest not only days should be limited but hunting limited to mornings only & limit hunter numbers. WMAs would also be well served to maintain a refuge/no hunting area to help maintain local huntable numbers & a quality experience for hunters. BTW, it's interesting, given the food sources made available by USFWS refuges, DU & private interests plus warmer weather north of us that fewer waterfowl are migrating south at all given the conditions. This makes it all the more important that's waterfowl that are reaching the south be hunted in a more planned & controlled manner. The flip side would be more access to nothing to hunt.

tickweed

Can't speak specifically about Hixon but most any public waterfowl areas need to be limited access to maintain any consistent opportunities for success. With as much waterfowl habitant as there is compared to waterfowl numbers, the ducks & geese will just move if pressured too much. I'd suggest not only days should be limited but hunting limited to mornings only & limit hunter numbers. WMAs would also be well served to maintain a refuge/no hunting area to help maintain local huntable numbers & a quality experience for hunters. BTW, it's interesting, given the food sources made available by USFWS refuges, DU & private interests plus warmer weather north of us that fewer waterfowl are migrating south at all given the conditions. This makes it all the more important that's waterfowl that are reaching the south be hunted in a more planned & controlled manner. The flip side would be more access to nothing to hunt.
Best reply I have seen. Pressure, Pressure, Pressure. TWRA does a great job, but waterfowl will not take it.

Andy S.

Same way in shelby county. I'd like an explanation too especially considering cwd seems like wma's would be more accessible and opened more often
Meeman Shelby Forest only allows hunting Mon/Wed/Sat to minimize conflicts, increase safety for all, and to offer days to other outdoor recreation interests like bird watching, hiking, cycling, fishing, boating, mountain biking, camping, paddling, and horseback riding. Rimfires, shotguns and archery are only approved weapons.

For those who would like to see changes at these WMAs, TWRA is about to have a public comment period and typically (pre-COVID) has meetings where the public can attend to comment and make recommendations. Food for thought.