Why a hang on stand?

Coldfusion

I posted this in deer hunting gear but not getting replies. Id appreciate your input.

I've only used ladder stands. I bought an older summit climber off a buddy but haven't used it yet. I was wondering from y'all that use hang ons, Why? They seem like more to carry, manage and deal with in the woods. And seem more difficult/dangerous to use. What's the advantage over a climber?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TN Song Dog

I've used ladder stands and a used a climber for a short time. Once you use a climber, you will start to see the advantages of a hang on and sticks. With a hang on, you have more options of trees to chose from. With a climber, you have to look for those strait and limb-less trees of a certain diameter... and sometimes can't find that perfect tree right where you want to be. This would be more important when bow hunting, too. With a hang on and sticks/steps, you can chose larger trees and navigate limbs or curves. From what I've seen, you can nest the sticks and stand all together nicely for carrying, and you can find combos that are total equivalent weight to many climbers.

Hopefully more people will chime in with actual experience and more reasons they use the hang ons.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheLBLman

My short answer is they're typically better for bowhunting.
You can place them much higher than any ladder stand,
and be much more camouflaged.

As to why they can be better than a climber (which I use about as much or more as hang-ons),
hang-ons allow you to utilize trees you couldn't with a climber,
and be more camouflaged.
Hang-ons (once placed) are also quicker to enter & exit.

Last but not least, when you climb in a climber, you will create some "tree scent" from the climber breaking the bark. Although this shouldn't spook deer (it is natural), it will often put them on alert, whereby they may then be more likely to see or smell you. Some will point out that with a hang-on you may also leave some scent on your steps, but in my experiences, I've had more deer notice "tree smells" while using a climber.

If you use a safety rope (hanging from above the stand to the ground) and are never not wearing your full-body safety system,
I see little difference in the safety aspects of a hang-on vs. a climber. Otherwise, hang-ons can be more dangerous. But the false sense of perception of climbers being so safe you don't need a safety harness while climbing has cost quite a few hunter their lives. Even ladder stands can be more dangerous than a hang-on if you're not wearing your full-body safety harness in a ladder stand.

The type stand I personally use least is the ladder stand.

Coldfusion

TN Song Dog":req1aqr3 said:
I've used ladder stands and a used a climber for a short time. Once you use a climber, you will start to see the advantages of a hang on and sticks. With a hang on, you have more options of trees to chose from. With a climber, you have to look for those strait and limb-less trees of a certain diameter... and sometimes can't find that perfect tree right where you want to be. This would be more important when bow hunting, too. With a hang on and sticks/steps, you can chose larger trees and navigate limbs or curves. From what I've seen, you can nest the sticks and stand all together nicely for carrying, and you can find combos that are total equivalent weight to many climbers.

Hopefully more people will chime in with actual experience and more reasons they use the hang ons.

Good info makes sense thanks

tahtah

I've used both. When I was solely hunting private property, I used hang-on stands 100%. I initially used screw in steps, but switched to climbing sticks. As noted already, you can get into almost any tree. You can hide yourself among the limbs. It's a little harder with climbing sticks, I use the summit sticks that stack on top of one another, but with screw in steps, I've gotten into some really crazy trees. But one of the biggest advantages that I don't think has been mentioned, you put it up and leave it. When you're ready to hunt, you walk in, climb up and hunt. When you're done or need a break, you just climb down and you're done. Again, that's private land where you can leave your stand.

When I started hunting public land, I switched to a summit climber. It took me a bit to get used to the difference, but I'd say the comfort of my climber is the number 1 biggest difference! As others have mentioned, you can't get into just any tree. And of course you literally install and climb your stand each time you hunt. But due to the comfort, if I'm going to carry a stand in each hunt, I'll pick my summit climber every time.

TheLBLman

tahtah":2wemckme said:
But due to the comfort, if I'm going to carry a stand in each hunt, I'll pick my summit climber every time.
As stated earlier, I use both, a lot.
When I use a climber, it is most often a Summit.
But some of the newer hang-ons are every bit, maybe even more comfortable than a Summit climber.

Also, with experience and certain strap-on sticks (I like the Lone Wolf ones, and similar spin-offs),
you can place and remove some hang-ons about as quickly as you can climb & descend (quietly) in a Summit climber.
Takes experience to do it very quickly & quietly with either.

Mike Belt

I almost never hunt from ladder stands. The only 2 things I have against them is that I usually like to hunt from higher elevations and they may be a little harder to turn around in for a shot. The primary thing climbers have going for them is that they allow you mobility and most of my hunting is done from them. Their downfall is possibly not having an adequate tree where you intend to hunt. Limbs in the way have to be removed, the trees may be too large in diameter, or they may be leaning or twisting too much to be climbable. Generally hang on stands are not 1 and done hunting sites. Most people put them up for at least some duration of hunting season rather than carrying them in and out each trip. Even if they remove them after a hunt they may leave their climbing system attached to the tree and carry their stands in and out or swap them from one location to another. As far as carrying them they are much lighter in weight than climbers and with a little practice can be put back on the tree in the dark within a couple of minutes without any noise. It's nice to just walk in carrying your weapon and not have to fool with putting a climber on a tree and climbing up in the dark. With a hang on you just walk up, climb whatever your climbing system is, take a seat, and you're hunting. No muss, no fuss, no noise. They can be placed on leaning trees, trees with limbs that you navigate around with your climbing system, and trees generally too large in diameter for climbers. If you like hunting fields they're almost a must. Many times along the edges of fields trees lean towards the fields and produce lots of limbs; both of which you can navigate with hang ons. Their downfall (which I don't totally understand if you're being real careful is that it's possible to fall going from your climbing system onto the stand or visa versa. If you hang your stand like it should be hung coordinated with your climbing system it's a simple step from one to the other.

Buzzard Breath

I've used them all over the years from saddles, hangons, climbers, ladder stands, etc. I find myself continually going back to a hangon. With a waist belt, I can get the weight off my shoulders and it sits flat on my back. I also like to hunt some really thick stuff and finding the right tree for a climber is almost nonexistant. I can't tell you how many times I've used a climber and wished I was in a tree 30 yards in another direction, but there was not a tree I could climb there. I use a Lone Wolf stand with 3 or 4 Lone Wolf sticks. Recently I've only been using 3 sticks with a 2 step Web strap attached to the bottom stick.
ec7027230077445fc779b308970428a8.jpg
6a54e88a0a7f4e28b4f1e1e64be0b094.jpg

rem270

I never carry a hang on and sticks in and set it up that morning and hunt and then take it down. My reasoning is I can get higher, climb some trees that I some times couldn't get a ladder stand in, can get more hidden, and all of mine that I buy are 10x more comfortable then any ladder stand I've ever hunted.

tahtah

Buzzard B, that's a good looking rig/setup. What's the weight of it as shown in your pic?

And I have to comment, I bet that's the first time you've been all geared up and ready to hunt in your bathroom before. :)

Coldfusion

Never thought I'd like hang ons but y'all made some very valid points. I'm getting interested now.

infoman jr.

I can put my lock-on in this
white_oak_1.jpg

It takes a little longer to set up, but the flexibility is worth it if I'm wandering into a new place where I don't know if any straight, limbless trees exist.

MUP

I don't carry them in and out, I put them up for the season. And by doing so, I eliminate a lot of noise carrying them in and out, and also from climbing a tree with a climbing stand. Easier to put up than a ladder stand, especially if you're by yourself. You can get a little higher usually with a loc-on(as opposed to a ladder stand). Just a few of the pro's IMO.

catman529

Lockon is more concealed and usually the climbing sticks will go higher than most ladder stands. Portable locking and sticks are even better cause you can pack them like a climber and climb trees that a climber won't touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winchester

Many reasons for the right situation. hang ons are without a doubt the best option in an area where you know you are going to hunt, hang it and leave it. When you get ready to hunt you sneak in and walk up the steps without a sound! They will go on virtually ANY tree with a little planning, big, small, crooked, limbs, doesnt matter. Easier to hide and have background cover as you can hang them most anywhere.
Climber definitely has its place as some situations require it.

Buzzard Breath

tahtah":2wpb9z54 said:
Buzzard B, that's a good looking rig/setup. What's the weight of it as shown in your pic?

And I have to comment, I bet that's the first time you've been all geared up and ready to hunt in your bathroom before. :)
It's right at 25.0 pounds as pictured.

As someone who backpack hunts, that's not my first selfie with gear on. It is a first with a treestand.

Jmed

The main advantage is you can put it in trees that you cant climb or even use a ladder in. They don't take anymore time than hanging a ladder.

Nsghunter

I bet that's the first time you've been all geared up and ready to hunt in your bathroom before. :)[/quote]

Nah, I bet Buzz has a window he hunts out of in his bathroom. He wears the stand for good luck LOL

Latest posts