Why a hang on stand?

Coldfusion

I've only used ladder stands. I bought an older summit climber off a buddy but haven't used it yet. I was wondering from y'all that use hang ons, Why? They seem like more to carry, manage and deal with in the woods. And seem more difficult/dangerous to use. What's the advantage over a climber?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

LanceS4803

I don't buy the expensive, light hang on stands. They are intended to be mobile.
The ones I have a heavier and I use the 20' ladders that strap to the trees or the ladder parts that come in individual pieces.
They go in at the beginning of the season and out at the end. I do have a few ladders and I just leave them in place.

I use them to get a higher and the ladder, being close to the tree, isn't as obvious. Plus, there can be limbs below the seat that the ladder portion of a ladder stand would interfere with. You can hang a lock on it a tree with 360 degrees of limbs.

jakeway

They can get higher than a ladder. One person can set them up, where a ladder usually takes two. They are lighter to carry into the woods than a ladder.

They can go on trees with lower level branches that a climber can't.

They are quicker to get into and out of than a climber, and you can leave them up all season.

I have three ladder stands I hunt from regularly, and three strap-on stands I use regularly. I have a really nice climber, but I only use it a couple times a year in places where I need to get higher than 20 ft.

fairchaser

Simple, element of surprise and mobility as well as flexibility for the type of tree. Mature bucks won't tolerate a new ladder stand or the scent associated with multiple uses.

infoman jr.

I like them because I can't put a climber in this.
a361df48eafdf2491bbd6b05504fb4c1.jpg

sbhockey

infoman jr.":25ou0ljp said:
I like them because I can't put a climber in this.
a361df48eafdf2491bbd6b05504fb4c1.jpg

Have two climbers, but this is the reason I'm adding a hang on to the arsenal this year. There are a couple trees where I hunt that I wish I could get into. Hang on is the only way to do it.

Ridgeraider

As others have said they are more versatile. I love hunting out of large cedar trees which you can not do in a climber unless you do a lot of cutting and that takes away a lot of your cover. Also depending on which one you get there's not more stuff to carry, it actually can be a lot less bulky. This is my Lone Wolf next to my Summit.

Attachments

• 259AEC44-D7CA-48B2-9432-943825A9AC97.jpg
    259AEC44-D7CA-48B2-9432-943825A9AC97.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,504
  • ECEF0CFC-847E-4556-B768-D0165E113AA3.jpg
    ECEF0CFC-847E-4556-B768-D0165E113AA3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 3,508

Mr_TTT2

2x infoman, good pic. I love my climber once I'm up in the air, but when I got scouting for spots I spend all my time/focus looking for a tree that I climb. One that doesn't have limbs like your pic, good bark...not that fraded stuff, or bark that is loose. Last year, I pretty much hunted out of same tree because bark was perfect. This year I'm trying a saddle setup and the steppladder system to give me way more options, can't wait.

Mike Belt

A climber goes up a limbless tree or you have to cut away a lot of limbs to get it up there. A hang on will go up any tree; straight or crooked. You still may have to cut some limbs away but nothing like for a climber and with the right set of steps/ladders placement can be made going around limbs essentially winding yourself around the trunk. Often times there just aren't any trees suitable for a climber where you want to hunt. Not so with a hang on. Once in place they also make for a quicker, silent climb up in order to hunt. Both types of stands serve their purpose well.

Shanman

Decided to use one man ladders for my stepson as a two man is a little much for me to tackle by myself, will carry my lock on in and hang beside him. One lock on five ladders. Read an old thread on another site about attaching a Molle system to a lock on. Rigged one up tonight and think it will work well, should be a lot more comfortable than just shoulder straps and help transfer weight to the hip belt.

sbhockey

Shanman":2vrwxp12 said:
Decided to use one man ladders for my stepson as a two man is a little much for me to tackle by myself, will carry my lock on in and hang beside him. One lock on five ladders. Read an old thread on another site about attaching a Molle system to a lock on. Rigged one up tonight and think it will work well, should be a lot more comfortable than just shoulder straps and help transfer weight to the hip belt.

Have MOLLE straps on my Lone Wolf hand climber, and the full MOLLE straps and frame on my Ol Man climber. That thing is a bit of a tank, but the MOLLE system really makes it pretty easy to carry.

Latest posts