Who measures the quality of their year by the success of deer season?

Tenntrapper

I've been thinking about this thread since it was posted. Ive got so much I would like to say, but feel I would get it all jumbled up if I tried. So, I'll keep it brief.

I must be the black sheep in this family. I've hunted deer since the early 80s. Success has been measured in different ways over the years. Now that I'm getting older, although I harvest more deer now, I feel my seasons have become unsuccessful. All the years that I've hunted, I've had friends to hunt with. Now I'm all alone. I've felt it coming the last few years, as friends have dropped off. I've even considered giving up deer hunting. I remember squirrel hunting to be much more fun and enjoyable. As I type this, I am realizing that the camaraderie will be gone there as well. Maybe another "successful" season is just not in my future. Maybe I should just give it up.

themanpcl

I know this is shallow and sorta corny. But, when I look back at my year, I often measure it by whether I got the buck I was after. If I do it's been a great year! If I don't, it's just been average. I haven't had a great year since 2018. I'm hoping this year turns around for me. I need an exit wound on a target buck! Either way, God gets the glory!
Just my opinion - I know people who do feel that if they don't have a successful deer season, their year sucks and that is sad. I hunt for the fun and enjoyment of the outdoors. I put a lot of money and time into hunting. If I kill one or more, great. If not, I plan for next season. It is a sport and a hobby and should be treated as such. Didn't get a buck last year. Haven't tagged one this year. I still have fun every sit and if the season ends with no deer on the ground, my life is not affected.

Ski

I've been thinking about this thread since it was posted. Ive got so much I would like to say, but feel I would get it all jumbled up if I tried. So, I'll keep it brief.

I must be the black sheep in this family. I've hunted deer since the early 80s. Success has been measured in different ways over the years. Now that I'm getting older, although I harvest more deer now, I feel my seasons have become unsuccessful. All the years that I've hunted, I've had friends to hunt with. Now I'm all alone. I've felt it coming the last few years, as friends have dropped off. I've even considered giving up deer hunting. I remember squirrel hunting to be much more fun and enjoyable. As I type this, I am realizing that the camaraderie will be gone there as well. Maybe another "successful" season is just not in my future. Maybe I should just give it up.

Sounds a whole lot like you're in a peculiar position. A younger hunter could learn a whole lot from you, and you could use the company. I bet you'd get a lot of fulfillment out of offloading all that knowledge you've accumulated through the years onto a green hunter who's hungry for it. What could be more successful than assuring your legacy continues?

Tenntrapper

Sounds a whole lot like you're in a peculiar position. A younger hunter could learn a whole lot from you, and you could use the company. I bet you'd get a lot of fulfillment out of offloading all that knowledge you've accumulated through the years onto a green hunter who's hungry for it. What could be more successful than assuring your legacy continues?
Over the last 20-25 years, I've taken more new hunters out and helped them get their first deer than I can remember. That said, this past year has kinda soured me on that. I was trying to help a youth, and it went south in a big way. I enjoy helping new hunters....even the not so new ones, just not really worth the risk these days....based on a bad example of ONE!!! Yes, it was that bad.
I've taken a few members of this forum to some property where I've been very successful over the years. I've offered some new to the forum (looking for place to hunt) a place to hunt....no takers. It's just a hassle to help someone...even when you want to.

iowavf

I don't have to kill anything to have a good year as long as I see deer. I only gun hunt and set in my blind I made, so that's always a good time start with. It's small but I have a lot of comforts built in and look forward to spending time in it each year. Iowa first season gun starts this weekend and is only five days which I usually hunt the weekend and maybe an extra day. Late ML last about 3 1/2 weeks and will hunt several days during it. Been hunting for fifty two years, all within a fifty mile radius here in SW Iowa and killed a lot of deer, so the buck has to look right to me before I shoot one anymore. I'm hunting in a really good spot now at my brothers and usually see deer everytime I hunt. If it's two deer or twenty deer, I consider it a good day in the blind. I'll be in the blind by around 6:15 tomorrow morning and leave around 5:45 pm, so looking forward to that.

beefydeer

I just love to get out there and watch wildlife. I would be just fine if I never kill another buck. I love to hunt with my son and watch him kill. He has turned into a far better hunter than I. It would take a very special deer for me to pull the trigger.

Ski

Over the last 20-25 years, I've taken more new hunters out and helped them get their first deer than I can remember. That said, this past year has kinda soured me on that. I was trying to help a youth, and it went south in a big way. I enjoy helping new hunters....even the not so new ones, just not really worth the risk these days....based on a bad example of ONE!!! Yes, it was that bad.
I've taken a few members of this forum to some property where I've been very successful over the years. I've offered some new to the forum (looking for place to hunt) a place to hunt....no takers. It's just a hassle to help someone...even when you want to.

There are bad apples, but hopefully it doesn't deter you. Seems there are always folks posting on here that are new to hunting or new to TN. What area of TN you located?

Latest posts