Who’s the guy who would work on atv’s and sell them ? Got a couple questions

Tn_Va_Hunter

In case anyone else may know. I can turn on the key switch, kill switch to run, push button won’t start it. Replaced battery. I can’t jump the starter relay and she runs fine. But I have no headlights and the dash lights don’t work. I’ve ordered a new kill switch(light switch built in). But is there anything else I can check out ? Brake light doesn’t even work. I’m not to mechanically inclined.

Thanks.

BigRed1080

Supporter
Have you replaced the fuses? Tested the bulbs? Not being a smart ass just wanting to make sure something simple didn’t get overlooked.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Checked the fuses. All good. If it was a starter solenoid wouldn’t they turn on once machine was running ?

Bulbs and everything worked fine up until a couple weeks ago. I’m talking no lights at all. Maybe it could be. I’ll check into that. Thanks.

cbhunter

Supporter
Mine started doing the same thing over the weekend. Sometimes the light would work, sometimes they wouldn’t….sometimes extremely dim. Pretty sure the starter solenoid is going to fix it. I had to jiggle it all day every time I needed to start it.
It also kept the starter from disengaging a few times when starting. Talk about a pain in the butt. Even turning the key off wouldn’t stop the starter

Tn_Va_Hunter

Is the starter solenoid and relay different parts? I can’t find a solenoid listed in any parts manuals

jlanecr500

Supporter
Post the year, make, and model. That would make troubleshooting much easier.

The ignition system is stator driven. Hence the reason it runs good once started. There will be a wire coming off the hot post on the starter relay that powers everything on the bike. It likely has a fusible link in it somewhere that is likely open.

Tn_Va_Hunter

The ignition system is stator driven. Hence the reason it runs good once started. There will be a wire coming off the hot post on the starter relay that powers everything on the bike. It likely has a fusible link in it somewhere that is likely open.
I’ll check for this as well. If it would quit raining

Tn_Va_Hunter

It’s a 99 yamaha big bear 350. 4x4 full time. Foot shift.

Don'tDrinkTinks

I was having similar problems with my foreman and my problem was my kill switch. I took it apart and tied the wires together essentially deleting the kill switch and everything worked fine.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I’ve ordered a new key switch, push button switch that starts, stops and works lights, and a starter relay. When it stops raining. I’m going to take all the plastics off. Power wash it. Check to see if there’s any fuses I’m missing.

Once I jump it over. It works great. Winch works fine. Shifts good. Idles great. Jusr have no lights anywhere. I can’t complain for what I have In it. It’s a great atv for the farm and what I need.

I’ll eventually figure it out and report back.

I picked it up for $800. Guy said it wouldn’t run. Brought it home. Rebuilt carb (which looked like it had been gummed up for years) new battery and she fired right up. Been fine for a couple weeks until the lights stopped working.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

jlanecr500

Supporter
Could be bad key switch. Unplug the key switch. The plug should have 4 pins. Wire colors black, black/white, red, brown. If you have a meter or dc test light, put the meter black wire to chassis ground and the meter red wire to the red wire in the connector. You should measure battery voltage. If so, leave the switch unplugged and place a jumper from the red wire to the brown wire. If lights, starter, etc work then replace the switch. They are known to fail.

Tn_Va_Hunter

Could be bad key switch. Unplug the key switch. The plug should have 4 pins. Wire colors black, black/white, red, brown. If you have a meter or dc test light, put the meter black wire to chassis ground and the meter red wire to the red wire in the connector. You should measure battery voltage. If so, leave the switch unplugged and place a jumper from the red wire to the brown wire. If lights, starter, etc work then replace the switch. They are known to fail.
You nailed it. Bad switch. I just replaced it 2 months ago. It was a Amazon knock off. Now to find a better one. Thanks man

Trophy of the moment

• Trophy by Daniel Plourde
    Daniel bagged this huge 10 point over in Humphreys County!
    • Daniel Plourde
    • Updated:

Latest posts