Who’s got mineral sites in already?

knightrider

Yep, need to comply with the law.

But I'm still scratching my head wondering if this new rule (no mineral licks) may actually be counterproductive.

Mineral licks are very wide-spread, abundant across the landscape, and each typically lasts for MANY years.
However, by reducing their numbers & not replenishing them,
might we actually be causing an INCREASED concentration of deer at the FEWER licks
most of which will be "licked" for many years to come?

This rule change will not stop the deer from seeking and licking minerals.
They are still going to do it, just more deer, more concentrated at fewer sites.

Wouldn't more licks cause the deer to be more spread out and less concentrated?
Another foolish knee jerk reaction to a problem that cant be fixed! Lets shoot them all and social distance them so they dont die😂

Rob-HC Hunter

I put my minerals out in early January it's a mixture of dicalcium phosphate, stock minerals, stock salt and high selenium. Our thought is that horns are growing when they start falling off and we want to supplement as soon as possible. We will freshen up the mineral stations in July.

BSK

I've decided to stop using mineral sites in Humphreys County, due to CWD potential. Don't know if it can be a problem, but don't want to take a chance. I'd like to hear the biologists take on this.
I have done the same - stopped using mineral sites due to the potential spread of CWD. The reason being, unlike most infectious agents (viruses/germs) that are destroyed by a high saline environment, the infectious prion associated with CWD is actually enhanced in a high saline environment. I don't want to do anything that could increase the potential spread of CWD.

Now that won't stop the spread of CWD. Deer naturally interact through bodily fluids - most importantly saliva - at many locations, especially licking branches, which are commonplace and widespread. Scrapes and rubs also involve the exchange of saliva and urine. But again, just reducing a situation that involves many deer exchanging saliva in an enhance prion environment is biologically a good idea.

TheLBLman

Now that won't stop the spread of CWD. Deer naturally interact through bodily fluids - most importantly saliva - at many locations, especially licking branches, which are commonplace and widespread. Scrapes and rubs also involve the exchange of saliva and urine. But again, just reducing a situation that involves many deer exchanging saliva in an enhance prion environment is biologically a good idea.
On the surface, that SOUNDS like a "good idea".
But, deer are still going to be seeking mineral licks, and still licking them.

This is in the context that our landscape, in every county, is dotted with at least hundreds of mineral (salt) licks that will mostly each be continued to be "licked" for many, many years to come.

And, by having FEWER licks, might we not simply be concentrating the deer MORE at what licks remain? Perhaps not creating or replenishing existing mineral licks is more akin to a counter-productive virtue signal?

Lastly, sure are a lot of cattle farms around in most counties.
Good luck finding one that doesn't have lots of mineral licks, replenished frequently, for the cattle, but the deer use them as well.

Not replenishing existing mineral sites for deer may do little more than shift the deer to other nearby sites that are not going away, and "may" actually be counter-productive.

Last edited:

BSK

On the surface, that SOUNDS like a "good idea".
But, deer are still going to be seeking mineral licks, and still licking them.

This is in the context that our landscape, in every county, is dotted with at least hundreds of mineral (salt) licks that will mostly each be continued to be "licked" for many, many years to come.
Perhaps, but at least it won't be me and my management that is helping to spread CWD. That's all I can control.

Rackseeker

I freshened up a couple toward the end of February. I think there may be a few using this area.
B537CCB9-7A59-4B2E-AB28-EFE8D2824959.jpeg

Headhunter

areas I personally hunt have always had multiple mineral sites and by that I mean many sites, one farm I have hunted for over 30 years, 120 acres approx. has a dozen mineral sites and they all get used, a lot from March to August maybe September. My thinking has always been the more mineral sites, even though IMO, they are used more when hunting season is not open, but still used a good bit of the year, the more mineral sites I have the more likely deer will make that their core area. I have never really had them for the purpose of hunting over them, but to attract and maybe hold deer from march til august, and hoping the deer like the many mineral sites and find a home.

On the 800 acres I hunt in KY, I keep 25 -30 mineral sites going, that is why I go see the salt man every couple years and get a half pallet of trophy rock.

redblood

areas I personally hunt have always had multiple mineral sites and by that I mean many sites, one farm I have hunted for over 30 years, 120 acres approx. has a dozen mineral sites and they all get used, a lot from March to August maybe September. My thinking has always been the more mineral sites, even though IMO, they are used more when hunting season is not open, but still used a good bit of the year, the more mineral sites I have the more likely deer will make that their core area. I have never really had them for the purpose of hunting over them, but to attract and maybe hold deer from march til august, and hoping the deer like the many mineral sites and find a home.

On the 800 acres I hunt in KY, I keep 25 -30 mineral sites going, that is why I go see the salt man every couple years and get a half pallet of trophy rock.
Man that is a lot of sites for the acreage

TNTreeman

I'm in an area where CWD hasn't become a problem yet but I'm in the camp of continuing with them. They will find minerals somewhere and the more out there the less the concentration on the few spots. Also whatever small health benefits they gain from them is there also .

Latest posts