Whitetail Habitat Solutions Dude….

JCDEERMAN

Anyone know of another guy on youtube that presents fhe same info but is a wee bit less nerdy
Dr. Grant Woods for sure. It is really hard for me to follow Jeff Sturgis. I only watch him when I am caught up on other shows. His methods and my thoughts and objectives just don't jive. Maybe it's me. He seems to take jabs at other folks without mentioning their names. He also (far too often) talks about how long he has been implementing this or that, which tells me he's trying to chest pump and act more of an expert than he actually is. I pick up on some things and would love to have some beers with him, but there are many others out there that are better. Grant being top notch in my book.

UCStandSitter

Supporter
Sturgis can be a bit dry but, he knows his stuff. I like that he puts his major points on a whiteboard behind him. That way if I don't want to sit through the whole vid, I can get a sense of it based on his bullet points.

DeerCamp

Supporter
Biggest thing about Jeff is that I think he probably has a better understanding of the average deer property, just due to the number of properties he has helped manage, and the distribution of those properties.

He can be a bit stubborn about things, but I've learned a lot from him - and it's all free.

For those of you who think he is too boring - you might consider purchasing his books. You can get through them at a better pace, and they are well done if not a bit small.

DeerCamp

Supporter
Anyone know of another guy on youtube that presents fhe same info but is a wee bit less nerdy
Big fan of growingdeer.tv

Same great info, maybe a little more relevant to the southern part of the U.S., and their hunting videos they incorporate are well done.

BSK

Big fan of growingdeer.tv

Same great info, maybe a little more relevant to the southern part of the U.S., and their hunting videos they incorporate are well done.
I have no idea who Jeff Sturgis is. But I did a search on YouTube for his videos, and from what little I've seen, he appears to work/manage primarily in the Midwest. Nothing against him, but managing habitat/deer in the Midwest isn't that difficult. Basically, do nothing. That area already has the best deer habitat in America.

Want to have your management skills tested? Come down to the Southeast and manage mountains, ridge-and-hollow hardwoods, huge industrial pine plantations, or Deep South swamps. That's hard.

Popcorn

Supporter
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
I have no idea who Jeff Sturgis is. But I did a search on YouTube for his videos, and from what little I've seen, he appears to work/manage primarily in the Midwest. Nothing against him, but managing habitat/deer in the Midwest isn't that difficult. Basically, do nothing. That area already has the best deer habitat in America.

Want to have your management skills tested? Come down to the Southeast and manage mountains, ridge-and-hollow hardwoods, huge industrial pine plantations, or Deep South swamps. That's hard.
This^^^
BSK hit the nail! This is also why I like Dr. Woods. I don’t always agree with him but it’s often due to a variation in my process, equipment, circumstance hence he often states “what works for your circumstances “. He includes great and proven points on soil improvement, soil building and restoration. He is passionate about this part and is always trying to improve. The great deer (and other game) hunting is a bonus to being a true conservationist

BSK

This^^^
BSK hit the nail! This is also why I like Dr. Woods. I don’t always agree with him but it’s often due to a variation in my process, equipment, circumstance hence he often states “what works for your circumstances “. He includes great and proven points on soil improvement, soil building and restoration. He is passionate about this part and is always trying to improve. The great deer (and other game) hunting is a bonus to being a true conservationist
Hey I worked for Grant for a decade and I don't agree with everything he says either! That said, he has a long proven track record of vastly improving deer performance in some of the toughest habitat and circumstances imaginable, from the Northeast to Florida to Louisiana to Arkansas. To be honest, when he bought his property outside Branson, it was total crap. The deer herd was crap, the forests were crap, the soil was crap, and the property was surrounded by hunters who were not helpful. Look at that place now. Now don't get me wrong; the amount of money spent on the management of his property is very high, much higher than most hunters/landowners could afford. But he proved it could be done. That was a risk most wouldn't have bet on.

Hduke86

Dr Grant Woods is great and very respectful when talking. I’m glad he’s doing better after the kidney transplant he got from his daughter. He also said they haven’t missed one week of putting out an episode going on 12 years and sometimes 2 episodes a week. I just watched one where they were showing how fast a deer drops at the shot of a bow.

DeerCamp

Supporter

To his credit, he does have a good bit of management experience in the south under his belt. I've seen him post about working with landowners across the south.

But yeah, I agree in principle.

Trophy of the moment

Latest posts