Whitetail destination

Buzzard Breath

I usually hunt them in 3 or 4 different states each year, but I've got a few "other" destination whitetail hunts in the planning stages now. But, what's nice about hunting whitetails is that with a little planning, most any hunt within the good old USA is easily within reach. Some may require a few years of applying, but they can all be accomplished by a DIY hunter. There are a few states that have pretty high tag prices, but most have reasonable fees.

Another great thing about them is that with tags readily available "over-the-counter" in so many states, it makes a good quick trip. If I have some work cancel on me and can schedule a long weekend, it's nothing to buy a tag from one of our surrounding states and hunt them for a few days there.

It's a great animal for a travelling hunter to go after.

redblood

Ever since I moved down to Florida from Utah last year the hunting has been dismal. At this point just making it up to TN every year or two to make use of my lifetime license is going to have to suffice - the public land hunting up there is better than most of the hunting down here I've encountered!
I have never hunted florida , but it has the roughest ugliest woods i have ever seen. If i lived down there, id sell all my hunting stuff and buy a nice boat and fish exclusively

huntintn

Mine is behind my house, haven't been out in 2 years because of my health. To y'all that can travel, good luck and keep the pictures coming.

Grnwing

I'll throw a different option out there. Head down to Big Cypress in the Everglades with your bow and go chase some bucks. It's not your typical whitetail hunt of sitting in a tree but is more of a western style of glassing and stalking. There is some beautiful country down there and you can roam for miles. Most of the locals will buggy hunt portions of it and some will try dragging in stands but I never ran into anyone else hiking back deep into the glades to chase deer. It is a truly one of kind hunt that will not be like any other. There are some good bucks down there but anything over 100" is a great deer. You can easily hunt all day and the deer activity is pretty consistent after a good thunderstorm. What is even crazier, is that the deer have altered their rut to coincide with the dry season so the fawns don't drown. Typical rut takes place in mid August, so you'd likely be coming in on the post rut in early September. One of my favorite mounts is buck from the glades. Again it's not your typical whitetail destination but it is certainly one that you'd remember!

tellico4x4

I'd love to do a coues archery hunt. As for other whitetails, I don't know if I'd ever be more interested in anywhere else than southern Ohio. It's got big woods, hills & hollers, farms, swamps, and river bottoms. And there are big ones to be hunted in all terrains. For an adventure hunt I'd really like to hunt blacktails in Alaska.
AK blacktails can be done fairly reasonable. Have done it DIY twice on Prince of Wales Island, plus can add black bear and some of the best fishing I've ever experienced.

Hduke86

AK blacktails can be done fairly reasonable. Have done it DIY twice on Prince of Wales Island, plus can add black bear and some of the best fishing I've ever experienced.
I brought back a hunting regulation book from when I was in Alaska a couple of weeks ago and lord help me it's like I'm trying to read Chinese.

Ski

I'd like a few weeks of chasing Oklahoma whitetails with a bow on public. Sounds crazy I know, but it appeals to me.

Doesn't sound crazy at all. Oklahoma is a big buck sleeper state. With Texas below and west, Kansas above, and Missouri east, it's only logical that it's covered up with big bucks. Better yet, outside of the major cities it has a sparse human population per sq. mile.

Lost Lake

Doesn't sound crazy at all. Oklahoma is a big buck sleeper state. With Texas below and west, Kansas above, and Missouri east, it's only logical that it's covered up with big bucks. Better yet, outside of the major cities it has a sparse human population per sq. mile.
All of that, and especially your last sentence, is why I'd like it I believe.

fairchaser

I'm so used to hunting whitetails that you can't see, it would be nice to spot and stalk whitetails for once. I was able to do some of that in Iowa and it's such an awesome challenge. I think some of the western states where Muley and whitetail habitat overlap would be great or something like the Milk River. I've been fortunate to hunt a lot of various places like Canada, Iowa Pennsylvania, Alabama and for me the spot and stalk style is the funest.

tree_ghost

I'm so used to hunting whitetails that you can't see, it would be nice to spot and stalk whitetails for once. I was able to do some of that in Iowa and it's such an awesome challenge. I think some of the western states where Muley and whitetail habitat overlap would be great or something like the Milk River. I've been fortunate to hunt a lot of various places like Canada, Iowa Pennsylvania, Alabama and for me the spot and stalk style is the funest.
Man I know exactly what you mean. I watch those whitetail adrenaline dvds and it makes my heart about blow outta my chest! I'd love to try it like Scheffler with a recurve one day!!!

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
Saskatchewan Canada, cold, big racks, big bodied deer. Always wanted to go there.
We used to waterfowl hunt each year in way northern North Dakota, and the last couple (1999,2000,2001) we went up to Good Spirit Lake Saskatchewan for a couple days to chase geese. The deer we saw were ASTOUNDING to say the least.

Wild story...the last mallard drake I killed, which was probably around 2003 I guess, was banded near Good Spirit Lake. I killed it in Southern Indiana.

Ski

All of that, and especially your last sentence, is why I'd like it I believe.

My first duty station as a young troop was in Altus, Oklahoma, the SW corner of the state. I fell in love with the place. Wide open prairies with mountains in the distance. Rodeos all the time, beautiful cowgirls, excellent fishing, wildlife everywhere. People are friendly & family oriented like here in TN except there a lot fewer of them. You can easily find a place where you can't even see a neighbor any direction. Not only good deer hunting but a healthy elk & antelope herd in certain areas of the state. City is close enough for convenience but far enough away to not be bothered by it. That all said, I think the better whitetail hunting was in the northern half of the state. It was pretty good down where I was at in the Red River valley, but up along the Kansas border is where it was best.

Lost Lake

My first duty station as a young troop was in Altus, Oklahoma, the SW corner of the state. I fell in love with the place. Wide open prairies with mountains in the distance. Rodeos all the time, beautiful cowgirls, excellent fishing, wildlife everywhere. People are friendly & family oriented like here in TN except there a lot fewer of them. You can easily find a place where you can't even see a neighbor any direction. Not only good deer hunting but a healthy elk & antelope herd in certain areas of the state. City is close enough for convenience but far enough away to not be bothered by it. That all said, I think the better whitetail hunting was in the northern half of the state. It was pretty good down where I was at in the Red River valley, but up along the Kansas border is where it was best.
My cousin and I go to eastern Oklahoma every other year to visit friends, and I've been considering a hunting trip somewhere in the State. Just need to dig a little deeper and start serious planning. I've seen some giants that come from there.