Whitetail destination

peleejosh

Have you hunted there before?
Ill never forget my first western experience and seeing hundreds of whitetails in those River bottoms and irrigated hay meadows.
I need to dig the picture up but I bet ya I seen a dozen whitetail bucks one time that would range in rack size from 115"-140", just out in the middle of the day grazing. Insane.
Most of the Whitetail I saw in MT were in the river bottoms, only problem is they are on one of Ted Turner's many ranches. So I think they knew they were safe :)

tellico4x4

I'm so used to hunting whitetails that you can't see, it would be nice to spot and stalk whitetails for once. I was able to do some of that in Iowa and it's such an awesome challenge. I think some of the western states where Muley and whitetail habitat overlap would be great or something like the Milk River. I've been fortunate to hunt a lot of various places like Canada, Iowa Pennsylvania, Alabama and for me the spot and stalk style is the funest.
Agree 😊! Exactly why I'm going to NW South Dakota this year. Spot & stalk whitetails on prairie during rut.

Jmed

Eastern Montana!! Ive been 5 out of the last 7 years. I love the open prairies and the river bottoms. If you like glassing and stalking its a paradise. Ive been lucky enough to shoot 3 mule deer with a rifle, and an antelope and whitetail with a bow. Every year on the rifle hunt I see white tails that tempt me but something about those big mule deer...

If you are serious about MT, I would recommend going ahead and buying the points. The big game combo and the deer tag used to be 100% draw, but not as of the last 2 years. Ive been putting in for the bull elk permit for 7 years now and have yet to draw for my unit-they have some giants!! and there is a ton of public land between state, BLM, and National forest.

Latest posts