White chili

waterman

Had a successful pheasant/chukar hunt with the wife and this is 1 of my favorite recipes after the hunt .white pheasant chili. Made it with chicken a few times but the pheasant gives a great rich flavor. Will be lunch in the thermos Tomorrow :drool:

Attachments

• KIMG0844.jpg
    KIMG0844.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 678

whiskey

I love white chili. I make it with wild turkey. I bets it's great with game birds.

Here's my recipe

White Chili with Chicken or Wild Turkey Breast!

1 whole cut up chicken
OR
1 Side of a large wild turkey breast (equivalent of a whole chicken)

4 Quarts water
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon of Everglade's Seasoning or poultry season
1 stick of butter
(optional smoked ham hock added to the stock for flavor)

1/2 cup oil (or bacon grease)
3/4 cup flour
2 med onions finely diced
4 stalks celery finely diced

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot, less if your heat intolerant)
3 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 Tablespoon of Cumin powder
1/2 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
1/2 Tablespoon Creole Seasoning
1/2 Tablespoon of Black Pepper
3 cans Bush's navy beans

Rinse Chicken. Put chicken parts, water, salt, Everglade's seasoning and butter in a large stock pot and bring to a boil. Slow boil for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken to a plate to cool and save the broth. Once Chicken is cool, debone and cut/tear into small bite size chunks.

Put oil in skillet on Medium-Low Heat, add flour to hot oil, stir constantly for 20 minutes (don't let it stick and burn) You want to roast the flour before adding the onions and celery, get the rue to a nice golden brown before going on. Then add onions and celery and cook for 8 more minutes. Add a couple of cups of broth to the mixture to thin and release rue.

Pour rue into a large crock pot and add chicken, stir well, add spices, slowly add broth (as much as needed) to reach the desired thickness. Add beans, cover and cook on low setting for an hour or so.

If using wild turkey, cook till the meat starts to get tender. If the meat isn't tender, keep cooking... Once the meat starts to get tender, add beans and cook on low setting for an hour or more until the turkey meat is fully tender.

Options: Cook a pound of bacon and use the bacon grease in place of the oil for the rue. Chop the bacon into small pieces and use as a topping for the chili. If you use bacon grease for the rue, omit the teaspoon of salt in the soup stock.

A dollop of sour cream on top is very good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

waterman

we cook birds in a dutch oven with small amount of liquid until tender. about 3 cups of finished shredded meat. in another stockpot cook 2 bunches of green onion with 1/2 stick of butter till tendercrisp. add 3 tbls flour and cook into blonde rue. add about 2 cups of liquid ( stock out of birds and chicken stock combined to make enough) add can of mexicorn, diced green chilis, some chopped jalapenos, and cannellini beans. add shredded meat, cumin to your liking, and pint of 1/2 &1/2. bring to boil then simmer. add juice of 1 lime before serving with corn chips. good stuff

Latest posts