Where would killing a gobbler in the snow rank?

WMAn

Driving up I-65, I saw a gobbler strutting for a handful of hens in the snow, and it got me to thinking. Where would killing a strutting or gobbling, Tennessee tom in a spring snow rank?

And I mean rank compared to any other hunt you could go on, anywhere in the world? How would it rank compared to any hunt any where in Tennessee?

I think it would be near the top. In Tennessee, I think still-hunting a bear would be the only thing to top it. My reason being is that an accumulating snow this late in the spring in Tennessee, especially west of the Cumberland Plateau, has to be a once-in-a-lifetime event. Just seeing that bird this morning in the snow may be the only time I see that in my lifetime.

What do you think?

PickettSFHunter

The first turkey I ever called up was in April in the snow.He was gobbling his head off. My Dad killed that one because he came in directly behind me. Of course Im on the plateau though. We have like 4 inches right now. Ranks pretty high.

Southern Sportsman

Somewhere around 2004 we had a freak snow here in west tn in the middle of april and a handfull of people i know killed turkeys in it. It would stick in your memory for sure.

catman529

Doesn't make too much a difference to me, snow just makes the scenery pretty until it melts. I'd rather it be warm right now

I would like to stalk a deer and kill it with a bow, that ranks pretty high

Bullfrog

Southern Sportsman said:
Somewhere around 2004 we had a freak snow here in west tn in the middle of april and a handfull of people i know killed turkeys in it. It would stick in your memory for sure.

Remember that one like it was yesterday!

tickweed

Believe it or not, not really a big deal. Many northern states do it every season. Think about this, snow is very reflective on a sunny day. Very bright to look at, lots of glare. Im sure it can trigger a turkey to become more active. Ive done it a couple of times, they gobbled their heads off.

WMAn

Agreed, it is not a big deal in much of the country. I'm talking about Tennessee, west of the Cumberland Plateau, and I don't mean bushwacking a feeding tom in the snow. I mean a gobbling or strutting bird in the snow, in Tennessee west of the Cumberland Plateau.

Outdoor life

It sure would be a great photo, proudly displaying that bird in the snow. Of course I'll settle for the bird in the snow, or in 90 degree heat as well haha.

Duck Tracker

Opening day 1992 there was about 10 inches of snow in the Mississippi river bottoms North of Memphis. Birds stayed in the tree all day long. Did see 54 deer that morning but couldn't get near a bird.

Only one I ever killed in the snow was in West Nebraska a few years ago. GREAT PICS! Nearly froze though LOL

Latest posts