Where to look?

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I would like to know if there is any way to narrow down where to look for arrowheads/Indian artifacts. I'd like to take my kids out and do some looking as they talk about wanting to find some, but being totally ignorant of where/how to look I'm daunted at the task. We live way out in the boonies of Hickman County and have a couple small seasonal dry creek beds out our doorstep. Bigger creeks. Hills and hollers all around. Is there a way to narrow down the search area?

Tenntrapper

I probably wont be much help, as I know very little about that end of state. Does TVA draw down the lakes over there, like they do this side?
If so, try high areas close to the river channel. When I hunted them with my grandfather 40 years ago, we mostly hunted after fields had been plowed and disked... preferably after a rain.
I know he hunted a lot around Norris during the winter.
Thats about all I can offer, sorry.

Tennrock

I look anywhere I can find dirt, you would be surprised. To narrow it down: the highest ground nearest the intersection of 2 creeks will usually show prehistoric use. I believe they used creeks as roads back then, traveling and camping along them. Usually the bigger the creek, the larger/longer the occupation. Sending a pm.

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
I look anywhere I can find dirt, you would be surprised. To narrow it down: the highest ground nearest the intersection of 2 creeks will usually show prehistoric use. I believe they used creeks as roads back then, traveling and camping along them. Usually the bigger the creek, the larger/longer the occupation. Sending a pm.
Thanks Tennrock! I have a food plot that is on a point where two ridges come together and is close to the highest point around. The ground drops off pretty steep off that point and I've thought it would be good spot to look just never have.

25-20

FYI.
http://www.tva.gov/river/landandshor...ources/faq.htm
The penalties:
FEDERAL HISTORIC PRESERVATION LAWS 145
16 U.S.C. 470ee(d),
Penalities
(d) Any person who knowingly violates, or counsels, procures,
solicits, or employs any other person to violate, any
prohibition contained in subsection (a), (b), or (c) of this
section shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than
$10,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both:
Provided, however, That if the commercial or archaeological
value of the archaeological resources involved and the
cost of restoration and repair of such resources exceeds
the sum of $500, such person shall be fined not more than
$20,000 or imprisoned not more than two years, or both. In
the case of a second or subsequent such violation upon conviction
such person shall be fined not more than $100,000,
or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.

Lost Lake

This.

Latest posts