Where did my buck go?

Shed Hunter

Headhunter,

I wish I could predict how a target buck is going to walk past me, but I can't. However, I do know how to play the odds. I hunt in an area where terrain is the predominant driver of deer travel patterns. And deer will use terrain in a somewhat predictable fashion. I say "somewhat" because deer will do things that defy the odds. But the critical factor is most of the time they walk along terrain in a certain way. So I play those odds when playing the wind. If most of the time they walk a long a ridge in a certain way, I want to be downwind of that travel line. Now that doesn't mean a deer won't approach from a completely different direction and wind me. That happens. But most of the time it doesn't.
I think people fail to realize that the key factor in hunting is statistics-if you want to be successful at killing a mature buck or even more specifically a large antlered mature buck consistently. Every decision should be based on what is most probable for success

BSK

Agreed Shed Hunter.

I have no idea which ridge, or which point a specific buck is going to use on a given day. It could be one of a dozen or more. So I just keep trying different ones on different days hoping to win the lottery. Every once in awhile, I do.

TheLBLman

I think people fail to realize that the key factor in hunting is statistics-if you want to be successful at killing a mature buck or even more specifically a large antlered mature buck consistently. Every decision should be based on what is most probable for success
Most specifically, you cannot consistently kill 4 1/2-yr-old and older bucks if you regularly are willing to kill 3 1/2-yr-old (and younger) bucks. And it you really want to more often kill a top-end mature buck, you cannot kill top-end younger bucks just because they have exceptionally nice antlers at 2 1/2 & 3 1/2.

BSK

Most specifically, you cannot consistently kill 4 1/2-yr-old and older bucks if you regularly are willing to kill 3 1/2-yr-old (and younger) bucks. And it you really want to more often kill a top-end mature buck, you cannot kill top-end younger bucks just because they have exceptionally nice antlers at 2 1/2 & 3 1/2.
Call me GUILTY! Impossible for me to turn down a good 3 1/2.

But you're absolutely right TheLBLman. If you want top-end mature bucks, you can't keep killing the top-end 2 1/2s and 3 1/2s. That's where top-end mature bucks come from, almost exclusively.

JCDEERMAN

Agreed Shed Hunter.

I have no idea which ridge, or which point a specific buck is going to use on a given day. It could be one of a dozen or more. So I just keep trying different ones on different days hoping to win the lottery. Every once in awhile, I do.
Agree with both. I'd say 95% of my hunting is just that - weighing the higher odds vs the lower odds stands. Every once in a while you can hone in on a buck, that for whatever reason, prefers a specific area and uses that area more often than not. But that doesn't happen often. The 3 1/2's are just a Tom and Jerry game. From my observations, their "area" typically shrinks as they age. Those are the fun ones, if they can be located.

bowhunt25

Same here. If my time is limited (like always), the rut is in full swing, the temps are favorable and I have a gun in my hand, I am hunting my best spot and climbing to keep the wind in my face, or have a cross wind. If I am hunting with a bow, more consideration is given to the wind.
what he said

Andy S.

Bringing this thread back to the top because "Buck 140" has now swam back across the MS River to the MS side. He's a trip and definitely likes to roam. See the link below the photo.

264825CB-4E69-4FED-B883-9B2B5937947E.jpeg

https://www.clarionledger.com/story...v5EFWhNqki2NEdK-QUcYZUBsp9M7WtAljjKJ1ZDndcleY

JCDEERMAN

Bringing this thread back to the top because "Buck 140" has now swam back across the MS River to the MS side. He's a trip and definitely likes to roam. See the link below the photo.

View attachment 111927
https://www.clarionledger.com/story...v5EFWhNqki2NEdK-QUcYZUBsp9M7WtAljjKJ1ZDndcleY
Thanks for sharing - just amazing stuff.

"There was about a 14-hour period where it doesn't appear he left his bed. The only time we see that is when they're dead. It appears he was just whipped from crossing the river."

Latest posts