Where are the turkey's

Carlos

I've been hearing that a lot from folks in that area. Has the agency gained any results from their 5 year study?

catman529

They're still grouped up pretty good from what I've seen the past couple weeks. Haven't started to disperse yet.

REN

I've been hearing that a lot from folks in that area. Has the agency gained any results from their 5 year study?

I actually don't think they have started to transition to spring areas yet. There is a group of 12 hens and 3 toms that are in the fields right next to my house every year. They have not been there yet but have seen them in other smaller spots down the road some. In a month they will be in the stuff by my house every day

Buzzard Breath

They're still grouped up pretty good from what I've seen the past couple weeks. Haven't started to disperse yet.
^^^^This^^^^

I live near an area where they tend to congregate in their winter flocks and I've been seeing the big flocks on a daily basis.

hbg1

Better hope what's been happening down here isn't happening up there

dg7080

They were late getting back to our place this year too.. We had not seen a hen around here since November and just last week 5 hens showed up, then in a day or two, 20 showed up, and for the past several mornings, we've been woke up by them doing the Spring thing.. 40 - 50 every morning and 5 - 10 long beards pestering them.. NE Sumner County by the way... but I think the numbers are not what they were just a few years back...

bvoss

Yesterday, I saw a big group of hens and a flock of 8-10 toms was right beside them. This was on the way home from work. Today at the same time I saw one lone Tom in that same field and several of the other toms were in a different field. Spring Hill area.

THE DUKE

Population has dropped for sure around here. Seen a decline after about the 4yr of the fall 3 hens yrs ago. Between that and nest robbers they hurt them bad plus add on record harvest last because of covid, doesn't look good for the next cpl of yrs.

Bgoodman30

Any day now. Still have winter flock on my place usually at least half of them disperse to neighbors some time in March.

double browtine

Like others have said, I think the birds are still in big groups. This morning on my way in to work, I saw a big group of birds. It was the first time I have seen them in this creek bottom field this year. There were probably 30-40 hens and at least a dozen toms strutting.

I think coons, possums, and coyotes have put a hurting on them in some areas. There are alot less people trapping than in years past. Those nest robbers need to be thinned in your area some I bet.

BustinDustin

I hunt 2 different farms in Wilson. One has a few birds still and the other (Wilson Central area) used to hear 10+ toms on opening weekend 6-7years ago and I haven't seen a bird there in 3 seasons. It's Turkey country too, mix of fields, pasture and open cedars.

I don't understand.

I also hunt Williamson, seen a few there but nowhere near the numbers we had 6-8 years ago.

JDUB

I believe the turkeys have been informed of the new season dates imposed by our great TWRA in certain counties and are migrating to those areas until the middle of April. You wont be able to shoo them away in the counties by the MS river or southern middle TN LOL. In the middle of April they begin the migration back to their homes as most of the turkey hunters will have given up by then! In all seriousness they are still grouped up in NW TN but i have seen a little strutting.

Hymie3

I have a big field behind my house that they come off a big ridge to every spring. They haven't showed up yet either but it's close... SE TN

Monk74

Population has dropped for sure around here. Seen a decline after about the 4yr of the fall 3 hens yrs ago. Between that and nest robbers they hurt them bad plus add on record harvest last because of covid, doesn't look good for the next cpl of yrs.
I'm seeing a few small mixed flocks in the steep mature hardwoods up in Stateville. But I agree, not like it used to be.

Latest posts