When to take the safety off?

PalsPal

I was just watching one of my videos of a kill a couple of years ago, and I had noted on the video when I took the safety off, plus the click of it on my 870 was very noticeable.

It got me to wondering what others' mindset might be as to when they take it off?

I tend to do it at first visible confirmation that a bird is approaching. Now it may take a few minutes before a shot presents itself, but at least I'm at the ready.

I do know it's a bummer having to put the safety back on if a shot doesn't happen though.

fairchaser

Mine is a top tang so it's very quiet. I usually wait until I raise the gun to shoot. This way I never take the risk of forgetting to put it back on. Also I constantly check my safety throughout the hunt and I have occasionally found it to be off safe. How it got there is unknown most of the time.

Huntaholic

Not until I see him. The chances are just too great to do otherwise. Ive hunted with folks that would take the safety off as soon as they got the gun into position, they only did that once with me! For those who say "when I think Im about to see him", honestly, you scare me. How do you KNOW for 100% certain EVERY time that what you hear walking in the leaves is HIM about to appear? Short answer, YOU DONT. Some folks have been spoiled and have only ever hunted private land, leases, etc.... I don't fall into that group and I cut my teeth hunting hard pressured public land. Ive actually had it happen to where I was fully expecting a bird to step out and it turned out to be a hunter "stalking" ME.

TheLBLman

Use a finger on each side of the safety to help do it slowly and muffle the click.
With practice, you can do this "quietly". Using gloved fingers also helps, and/or you can kinda "wrap" some portion of your outerwear around the entire trigger guard area as well.

I usually wait until I raise the gun to shoot.
That is how I was taught, and typically do it.
Even when walking up a bird dog on point, still on "safe", until the birds flush.

SOME exception with turkey hunting, as when a bird is too close, the air is too quiet, AND have already made the decision to shoot (as soon as can aim the gun), I may quietly turn the safety off before positioning the gun for the shot.
Sometimes, the shot I'm waiting for doesn't happen, and the safety goes back "on".
Also I constantly check my safety throughout the hunt.
Ditto. I was also MADE to develop that habit.
Cannot imagine how many times during an outing I've been asked,
"Where's your safety?"
Was very fortunate to have hunting mentors who were very ethical sportsmen and sticklers about hunting safety.

Last edited:

Bgoodman30

Man I had an old wary gobbler coming in on a string once.. I clicked it off as he was at about 60 yards and he popped his head up and did an about face and left.. Couldn't believe it..

Layne

I'm one to wait until I point to shoot, this was driven home to me on a hunt about 10-15 years ago... I had heard a bird gobble on the edge of a field I had killed some birds in previously and I made my way over to it. The field came to a crest in the middle and I was easing up towards it when I saw a fan coming up over the crest of the hill... I squatted to get ready for the gobbler to top the hill when to my surprise it was another hunter carrying a gobbler over his shoulder... I just remember thinking I was glad I didn't have my gun pointed at that poor fella when his head popped over that hill.
I always wondered how someone could shoot someone while turkey hunting and that was an eye opener because for a couple of seconds that guy was a gobbler.
Also made me think twice about carrying a gobbler over my shoulder without some orange.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Depends on the situation for me.
Whenever I do take it off I keep the booger picker out of the trigger guard till it's go time.