When to start scouting?

woodsman04

Don't scout for turkeys, scout the woods and know the lay of the land.
I would strongly recommend to not call, hoot, or try to make any bird gobble.

cowhunter71

I agree I hate to deer hunt turkeys so that's why I continue to bump them... I'm sure I bump far more than I see but it's how I enjoy hunting them. I do believe that there are a lot more silent birds than vocal ones, I've watch birds many times never make a sound as they worked towards me even when called to.
Being a public ground Turkey Hunter, I am extremely thankful for those who hunt this way. As I've stated many times in the past, it makes it possible for me to ALWAYS have a few Gobblers to hunt, no matter what ground I may be on. With the growing number of "Pinhoti Pinheads" stomping through and blowing down the woods each year, my hunting as actual gotten better. Keep bumping them boys and thanks again.;)

Bone Collector

Setterman, how do you feel about hunting from a "tent" WITHOUT using any decoys?
I have done this before. I own 32 acres. back in the day before the brewery was built where their roost trees were and changed the cow farm to a public hang out, turkeys would be on the outskirts of my property daily. If I called they'd come. I tried decoy first couple of times and they wouldn't come to it. I then started listening to people like Setterman and realized I didn't need them. However where I needed to set up on my land, It was smarter to hunt from a blind. I just ditched the decoys. They came in without them. The blind was necessary, because the Toms weren't always with the hens, and the hens would come in alone, so in order to not spook them, which ultimately paid off, the blind was a good idea. When I hunt public, I just sit on the ground. I am not lugging that thing. On my land I set it up and hope we don't get a bad storm.

Latest posts