when to, how to...

Eli103

turkey season is in sight. Now I'e hunted with pops since I could learn to keep my mouth shut. Recently I've started to watch Catman's videos from the past, I was wondering when is the right time to call, and what kind of call to use. My main strengths or I think are my main strengths are the wing bone and a box call. I need some advice on how to get better and when t starting calling.

SteveJ

I'm no pro so most of these others could give better advice. I learned just watching videos. I like the primos guys and I used to watch Michael Waddell back when I started. I would just sit down on the couch and try to match what they would do as far as learning what a call should sound like and how to improve my calling.

As far as when to call, I think some of that just takes experience. The more you hunt, the more you learn when to call and when to keep quiet. I've had to learn the hard way many times but I learned a little.

My advice would be before season, is practice at home while watching someone experienced. Then just get in the woods and try it and learn from your mistakes. If you have someone to go with who knows more, go with them and learn from what they do

Eli103

Go ahead and add a pot call to your arsenal if you haven't already. It don't have to be an expensive one to learn on. But once you learn it, its probably the easiest call to master in my opinion.
I have a couple that are my dads, never really got it down, i got a couple weeks to practice. wished catman had educational videos on how to do certain calls

Bone Collector

I have a couple that are my dads, never really got it down, i got a couple weeks to practice. wished catman had educational videos on how to do certain calls
there are videos by others that are instructional. I have never used a box call. I went to the NWTF convention and a guy showed me how and i was running one in a matter of minutes.

I learned pot calls by watching videos and just using them. once you get them down they are easy to run.

as far as your question goes. Any call mentioned in this thread will work. I think the main thing to NOT do is over call. Once you get a bird to respond and you know he is fired up, sometimes it is best to not call and scratch the leaves every once in a while.

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
Like your dad said, less is more. If you learn to master anything just make it a simple 5 note Yelp and soft calling. I'd say for you a push call would be perfect. Can Yelp and purr and make soft calls on your leg or ground without much movement.

Stumpsitter

The best call to use is the one you're most confident with. A pot call is an excellent call, easy to use and build confidence with. A wing bone and box will kill'em too. Get good at yelping and small talk .
If you can Yelp and scratch in the leaves you can generally convince a turkey to come in. Find some video or recordings of hens in the woods. Listen to the rhythms and cadence of the calls. That can go a long way to help you with how you need to sound. All hens sound different. As far as knowing when to call or how much that's up to the turkey and experience will help you with that.
If a bird answers you , he knows your there. He could come right in or you might have to work him a little. But, playing hard to get has always worked for me. In other words I'll let them know I'm there just enough to keep them interested and then lay some silence on them. Set still and listen for drumming. The more you hunt the more experience you'll get. The main thing is don't get discouraged and don't hunt in crowds.

megalomaniac

Spend as much time in the turkey woods as possible. Get close enough to hear them and listen. They will teach you what to say and how to say it. Until you get that down (usually takes a decade or two), call infrequently.

huvrman

less is better than more. If you call less and he doesn't come in, you may get a shot at him another day. If you call too much and he, sees you moving, senses danger, or spooks, you may not see him again.

Latest posts