When is road rage justifiable

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

Call me an animal, but I would for sure physically defend my family in a second.
We are animals. I have knuckled up some deserving people and have been knuckled up in return. Our country used to be full of people like us. Now half of us don’t know what a real man is made of. My dad was one, I am one my sons are just like me. Beer drinking’, hell raisin’, knuckle dragging animals. Proud of it.

PossumSlayer

PossumSlayer

Supporter
The older I get the slower I drive, 99% of the time because I left early and ain’t in a hurry.
Interstate, if I’m ten cars behind you please find the right lane! I get way more anxiety on the intestate because of left lane drivers.

Bambi Buster

Bambi Buster

T

TraumaSlave

Retaliating for someone doing something stupid on the road is a good way to get shot. Not worth it.
My point just the opposite. Purposefully doing something on the road is a good way to get shot. Car vs motorcycle or car vs mine with me and or me and family is putting our lives in danger with lethal weapon. Swing a bat or a blade and you get shot,, swing a car and I'm supposed to let it go? I say BS.

P

philsanchez76

When I was younger I used to really feel like it was my job to teach folks a lesson when they acted like idiots on the road. And I was good at my job. I'd follow people for miles sometimes, perhaps whip a battery at their car door. Once a guy cut me off while I was on my motorcycle almost killing me. I caught up to him at a red light and caved in his drivers side door with my boot. Wow I was a bit of an A$$ now that I am typing it all out. Anyway, eventually I did this to the wrong vehicle and got a full mag of 17 bullets unloaded on me and my truck. This was in Antioch by the way. Grace of God I didn't get hit. All I could think was, I just want to get home to my family. All of sudden teaching people lessons started to take a back seat. Of course if I see something terrible happening that I may be able to stop, I am going to step in. But if it's just me, I am gonna let these suckers go on by at this point. It's getting to crazy out there.

BamaProud

BamaProud

Supporter
My point just the opposite. Purposefully doing something on the road is a good way to get shot. Car vs motorcycle or car vs mine with me and or me and family is putting our lives in danger with lethal weapon. Swing a bat or a blade and you get shot,, swing a car and I'm supposed to let it go? I say BS.

That analogy, doesn't work. swinging a bat or a blade in an attempt to hurt someone is an intentional act. I don't think there are many folks driving around dangerously with the intent of hurting strangers.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

When I was younger I used to really feel like it was my job to teach folks a lesson when they acted like idiots on the road. And I was good at my job. I'd follow people for miles sometimes, perhaps whip a battery at their car door. Once a guy cut me off while I was on my motorcycle almost killing me. I caught up to him at a red light and caved in his drivers side door with my boot. Wow I was a bit of an A$$ now that I am typing it all out. Anyway, eventually I did this to the wrong vehicle and got a full mag of 17 bullets unloaded on me and my truck. This was in Antioch by the way. Grace of God I didn't get hit. All I could think was, I just want to get home to my family. All of sudden teaching people lessons started to take a back seat. Of course if I see something terrible happening that I may be able to stop, I am going to step in. But if it's just me, I am gonna let these suckers go on by at this point. It's getting to crazy out there.
Did they catch the guy that shot at you?

L

Laserman1

Supporter
I have had 2 too close of calls in the last couple weeks. Today, some biatch cut me off on the highway and instantly break checked me on the highway. I'm talking she took the 1 car width in front of me in the high speed lane. Without a dash cam, it's my fault rear ending her. My kids in the car. Two weeks ago, I'm stuck in traffic on my Harley. I inched for 30 minutes while my motor is getting hotter and hotter. Admittedly not perfectly legal, I moved into the convenience lane and puttedn as slow as I can go in 1st. Some azzhat cuts me off. My quick stop was still a few inches from his car as i was at his reqr corner when he did it. Both put me and or mine at risk for injury. With a dash cam and no kids, I might have hit her. With out a gun on my hip while on my bike, I could have pulled him out of his and beat the brakes off him. When can we start standing up for our selves?
Why not pull over and stop till motor cools off? Only 1 in a 1000 use the lane for a overheated bike. I always see motorcycles abuse the stopped traffic by using the emergency lane like they are more important than all the others waiting on traffic. If the bike can’t take the heat it needs to stay off the road. A lot of motorcycle riders I see are just like bicyclist. They want us to respect them, watch out for them, give them space but they want to run up the emergency lane, drive between me and another car stopped, or even pass between me and a car going at speed. And is it a law you can’t ride a Harley without a black Harley tee shirt and a goatee?

MUP

MUP

Supporter
This is a very interesting thread, and brings up several questions to think about. One in particular that just came to mind is that, if you're being harassed by another driver, while on the road moving, and they brandish a weapon toward you, is that justifiable for a self defense case?

Crappie Luck

Crappie Luck

Staff member
This is a very interesting thread, and brings up several questions to think about. One in particular that just came to mind is that, if you're being harassed by another driver, while on the road moving, and they brandish a weapon toward you, is that justifiable for a self defense case?
They have committed a felony. It's best to back off and not match them with offenses. Call the law if you can prove they brandished the weapon (if you want to pursue charges).

Crow Terminator

Crow Terminator

Boy, ole Russell Crow got fat didn't he?
I thought the same thing but I wasn't sure if it was his actual body weight or if they used a suit to make him look that way. I don't keep up with actors so it was a shock to see him that way from how I remembered him last.

It's still a good suspenseful movie. I wish it had ended differently. That was all I didn't like about it.

DaveTN

DaveTN

Supporter
Mup, every case of deadly force will be judged on the elements of that specific case. I'm not an attorney and I don't pretend to know all the states laws on deadly force. But I have seen plenty of cases and have my own idea of what justifies the use of deadly force for me. "If a reasonable person would believe a person was in immediate danger of death or great bodily harm, the use of deadly force is justified."

"Reasonable person" is key it doesn't really mean what you believed; its means what a Judge or jury would believe they would have done in your circumstances..

"Immediate" means just that, and doesn't need a lot of explanation. The attacker stops what they are doing or moves away.

"Death" is obvious. "Great bodily harm" is not. Many people have tried to use the argument that someone threatening to punch them meets that requirement. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I try my best not to get into a confrontation when armed. I'll take an azz whipping before I shoot someone punching me. Especially is I am a willing participant in and argument or incident.

I just watched "Accused: Guilty or Innocent?" Retired US veteran, Michael Ward, from Tennessee who had moved to Oklahoma shoots a wanted felon fugitive, on his property. They fought over a gun and the bad gun turned to run and Ward shot him in the back. I believe Ward feared for his life when he shot. However, "immediate" was gone. Ward will spend the rest of his life in prison.

You say "brandish". If you mean they display a weapon, that won't cut it. If they point a weapon at you or threaten you with a weapon, that's a different story.

My goal is twofold. Stay alive, and don't go to trial. Too often I see comments trying to justify the use of deadly force from someone saying they will kill anyone threatening their family as that is their duty. My duty to my family is to stay out of prison. And to not destroy our family financially with a trial.

Hope this helps.

P

philsanchez76

Did they catch the guy that shot at you?
Negative. 100% blacked out windows on brand new Infiniti sedan. Only got a glimpse of the driver. Never saw the passenger. No tags on the vehicle (this should have tipped me off before I engaged probably). I always carry a gun, but by the time I heard shots, my strategy moved to just getting away from these a$$hats. I knew I couldn't outrun them or outgun them with my 5 shot concealed carry. I pulled the old Top Gun maneuver where I sped up as fast as my old 92 pickup would go and then hit the brakes and they flew right by. I consider myself a pretty tough ******* but when it's 2 on one with semi auto weapons, I don't like the odds as much. I have since upgraded my vehicle carry system to a magnetic dash mount and I carry a 17 round semi auto in there now. 5 shot just resides on my person still.

moondawg

moondawg

Basically I let them go, l move over, let them get in front me, go past me, etc. I have no desire to get in an altercation while driving. I just remind myself and the other driver (who can't hear me): cooler heads will prevail and we're all gonna get to wherever we're going.