When do you start shed hunting?

Bodine270

I know a few folks have reported bucks shedding already. When do you usually begin shed hunting? I have stumbled across a few before but never find any when I am purposefully looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

found my first sheds 5 years ago on the 19th. But I won't start looking till mid february or maybe closer to March. I suppose if I go squirrel hunting I will keep an eye out for sheds.

duckriver

Jon54":1cn8jrod said:
Where do you look? Seems like looking for a needle in a hay stack

I've had the best luck in fields. Start where they are known to jump a fence to enter the field. Sometimes that jars them loose. And work your way across the field.

Shed Hunter

Im always looking around for sheds but my first actual shed hunt will be the second week of Feb. If you don't have much land to look wait until late March though. Its easy to put in 40 miles in a weekend so with limited acreage give them time to drop and search everything. I find most sheds in edge habitat areas.

TheLBLman

Start soon as you can. There will always be a few dropping early, and a few holding into April.
They are easiest to see the earlier in the year you're looking; there may be more to see later. But once that spring growth really kicks in (typically some time in March), it can become much harder to see a shed.

One issue I've come to recognize: We are competing with coyotes and dogs in finding those sheds. If a coyote or dog finds it before you see it, he walks off with it. And they can often "smell" a fresh shed from several yards away. For this reason, I repeatedly frequently re-visit certain areas, as I know a shed doesn't just lie there very long before a coyote finds it. IMO, this is one of the reasons most of us don't find more sheds year-round. And in some areas, rabbits and squirrels can eat up an antler faster than you might have imagined. Yet sometimes I'll find an intact antler that's been lying for a year or so in some great squirrel woods, and has never been chewed.

Also, don't assume you'll find them all on the ground. I've found them 4-plus feet high hung up in honeysuckle. Speaking of which, anywhere you find a lot of thick honeysuckle can be a great place for finding earlier sheds.

RobbyW

07fb3de849fda0908fe275b97f5a4d9a.jpg

Falling now

Bodine270

Awesome advice TheLBLman. I parked my 4 wheeler in the same spot one season for weeks and then just noticed a shed one day covered by leaves there. I had probably parked on it or stepped right next to it a dozen times. It was in an area thick with squirrels as well. Guess they didn't see it either! I would really like to find one or two "on purpose" this year. I don't mind the accidental ones though!

Oldiron

Everybody has their own thing. I never seen the futility for the reward in this. Just all day wandering around. Do you use them for anything like knives or do you just set them on a shelf?

The only one I ever found was right out open in a plot.

Grnwing

I usually start later in February. My latest bow kill in Arkansas on a buck still caring was February 26th. Some will start dropping soon but I believe most will be later in February and March.

GreyGoose

Oldiron":yn1f27mr said:
Everybody has their own thing. I never seen the futility for the reward in this. Just all day wandering around. Do you use them for anything like knives or do you just set them on a shelf?

The only one I ever found was right out open in a plot.
to each there own..some just enjoy being out year round.this adds a little more time out of the house :tu:

Bodine270

Thanks Spoon. That's when I have looked in the past. Already got a few thickets in mind to search. I didn't kill a buck this year so I'm hoping to find a shed or two to make up for it.

Latest posts