When do you hunt your scrapes?

redblood

Most scrape checking is done in the cover of darkness ( at least from what I've read over the years). I never hunt scrapes but I will put a camera over a hot one just to get an idea of what is visiting/refreshing them.
Nov 13th 2019, i had 7 mature bucks hit the same scrape line during daylight hours

GRIT

I have seen bucks make scrapes.I have seen them come and check them and i have seen them refresh them.Right after a rain has always been good to me watching scrapes.I don't set up on scrapes they just make them were i'm hunting.If your seeing deer if you get down and look around you will find scrapes.

tnpete

Got to watch 5 bucks Tuesday evening. All 5 worked the same scrape and all within a few minutes. Never seen that before. I was 300 yds away, got to see the whole show. One after the other a 10, 2 8's a 6 and 1 spike. This was along the edge of a hay field.
Also seen 3 big boys in a different field 30 minutes later. Only the 12 point worked the scrape. He was not allowing those others to get near it. Priceless and sure wish I could hunt those big boys.

Last edited:

Andy S.

I have had great success over the years by hunting scrapes just before a front pushes out. I try to get in the stand an hour BEFORE the rain stops. After the rain bucks will work scrape lines to freshen them up. Particularly during our muzzleloader season.
Similar experiences over the years in my neck of the woods. I suspect many scrapes were worked last night and today for us on the western side of the State.

Deercall17*

Still a fairly new deer hunter (4th season) and trying to figure out timing on scrapes for the big boys. I know this is also area dependent so let me know what part of the state your hunting as well. Just started seeing scrapes pop up last week in davidson/Rutherford. Hunted a fresh one last night and just saw a spike. When do y'all focus on your scrapes? How long are they usually good to hunt until you transition to more of a traditional rut funnel location? Thx for any replies.
Hunt doe bedding, transitions or terrain breaks. Mature bucks rarely make a presence in open timber where most scrapes are.

tree_ghost

Similar experiences over the years in my neck of the woods. I suspect many scrapes were worked last night and today for us on the western side of the State.
I used this tactic on Monday this week. Ended up having my #2 target come in 20 minutes before dark. I hit him slightly forward and ended up hitting the shoulder I'm pretty sure…sucks but the tactic worked well just made a mistake on my part.

GnashviLLe

I hunt scrapes and when rain is coming and stops before legal light. Rain will dilute the bucks scent on the scrapes. Just after a rain they will " re scent" their scrapes. Get in while it's still raining and wait out. Bucks can cover most their scrape lines within 15-30 minutes. Good hunting

philsanchez76

I hunt scrapes and when rain is coming and stops before legal light. Rain will dilute the bucks scent on the scrapes. Just after a rain they will " re scent" their scrapes. Get in while it's still raining and wait out. Bucks can cover most their scrape lines within 15-30 minutes. Good hunting
Definitely gonna try this this year. Got just the spot. Thx!

megalomaniac

Why do you guys think rain dilutes the scent?

Reason I ask is because dogs can track much better in wet conditions. When the air is heavy and wet, the scent holds longer and is detected easier than when it's dry.

A wet spring kills more turkeys not just because the poults drown, but because the hen setting smells bad when she's wet and is more easily detected by coyotes. (Give your chickens a bath and see what I'm talking about).

Moisture and humidity INTENSIFIES scent, not 'washes' it away

megalomaniac

Oh, as far as scrapes go... I dont hunt them. Wasted too many days of my life unsuccessfully trying that when I was younger. I hunt travel corridors and food sources. It just so happens those places also have scrapes, and I watch deer hit them while I'm hunting, but I'm not hunting that spot because of the scrapes there. But maybe I'm missing out?

BSK

Oh, as far as scrapes go... I dont hunt them. Wasted too many days of my life unsuccessfully trying that when I was younger. I hunt travel corridors and food sources. It just so happens those places also have scrapes, and I watch deer hit them while I'm hunting, but I'm not hunting that spot because of the scrapes there. But maybe I'm missing out?
No, you're not missing out. Hunt the travel corridors and concentration points (which will contain scrapes).

philsanchez76

Ive learned a ton from this conversation already. Seems like most of y'all are not hunting scrapes but travel corridors that may happen to contain scrapes since that's where a lot of the deer activity is. I'm wondering if anyones strategy would change specifically if bow hunting only where you'd need to be 30 yards or closer to the deer. Once muzzleloader season starts I can completely get with the idea of hunting more of a general corridor. But for those last 2 weeks of bow what say you?

philsanchez76

Why do you guys think rain dilutes the scent?

Reason I ask is because dogs can track much better in wet conditions. When the air is heavy and wet, the scent holds longer and is detected easier than when it's dry.

A wet spring kills more turkeys not just because the poults drown, but because the hen setting smells bad when she's wet and is more easily detected by coyotes. (Give your chickens a bath and see what I'm talking about).

Moisture and humidity INTENSIFIES scent, not 'washes' it away
You bring up a good point here....hmmmm